New member - Ventures II owner

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: New member - Ventures II owner

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:55 pm

Welcome to the forum!

What a story about your dad and the guitar - it sounds like Semie replaced the entire body with a new one. Is the bridge pickup stock? I don't recall seeing a VII with poles through the pickup covers.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

SMP

Postby SMP » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:29 pm

I asked my dad this evening about some details on the warranty return - from the pic below it looks as if it has a different trem, but my dad said he "thinks the trem is the original" - he doesn't remember any details about the pickups either - the pic's a little blurry, but the original bridge pickup doesn't appear to have exposed screws on the pole-pieces - more mysteries, I'm just glad I found some experts to help me with these ...

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:53 pm

SMP wrote:I asked my dad this evening about some details on the warranty return - from the pic below it looks as if it has a different trem, but my dad said he "thinks the trem is the original" - he doesn't remember any details about the pickups either - the pic's a little blurry, but the original bridge pickup doesn't appear to have exposed screws on the pole-pieces - more mysteries, I'm just glad I found some experts to help me with these ...

This is what your Dad's/Your Guitar originally looked like. BTW, the Trem System, WAS
different as such the Vibrato Arm was mounted in the middle of the Rocker Unit. It also
had different style Pick-ups, and had the Jewel Knobs (lathed) like on the Ventures Model
(which was known as the Mark I Model)..... :shock:
Don't let "the Ventures II" Model confuse you. They used that title on both body styles.
The first "Ventures II" Model was originally known as the 'MARK II' (most people get this
confused with the "Ventures II" Model) which is what your Dad originally had........
However, when he got it back from the Factory for the Warranty Repair, they actually had
given him the brand new 'MARK V' model below, although it was still "the Ventures II" Model.... :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:15 am

Dennis, as ever, is correct and let me be the first to break it to you, the 'Mark II' model that your dad first had is now quite a rare collectable as it was the guitar Johnny Ramone used, the VII model that Mosrite returned is still collectable but wouldnt fetch anywhere near as much as Johnny's.

IMO the VII model is much nicer anyhow...
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

SMP

Postby SMP » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:52 am

Wow - thanks guys - great information already!

I called to talk to him about all of this - he was surprised when I told him the ser# - he distinctly remembers the ser# (prior to sending it back to Mosrite) was B 007. They must've just swapped the whole guitar! Collectible or not though, the slab-body was cracked pretty badly ...

He also gave me this -- as many original Mosrite owners have said to me and him alike - he chose the Mosrite Ventures II model at the time because:
1) It was cheaper than a Strat, and said to be better than an SG
2) It had a lifetime warranty (unfortunately the company didn't last)
3) The Ventures were playing them!

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:47 am

Welcome SMP. Hey, that's a great story and interesting that no-one noticed your family got a completely different guitar back ;-).
Do your dad have any more experiences with Semie and Mosrites?

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:10 am

SMP,
Where did your dad buy the guitar? Was it already in the store or did he have to special order it? I'm not familiar with how Mosrite distributing worked back in the day.
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Man I wish I could go back in time and get one of those.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:34 pm

MWaldorf wrote:SMP,
Where did your dad buy the guitar? Was it already in the store or did he have to special order it? I'm not familiar with how Mosrite distributing worked back in the day.
Mel

SMP, are you in CA?? Your Profile didn't say where you are located.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:53 pm

I remember talking to Semie on the phone back in the late 80's about his warranty. He told me that as long as he was alive Mosrites were warrantied even if you pulled it out of a garbage can. He sold me a few parts for my Mosrite and even sent them COD. See if anyone will do that today.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”