Dr. Bill Hudson - FINALLY Joining Forum

stl80
Top Producer

Re: Dr. Bill Hudson - FINALLY Joining Forum

Postby stl80 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 am

Welcome. My early 60's cover band, of course, played Wooly Bully. This is a great forum, by the way.
Jim

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 am

Welcome, Dr. Bill! Since you're with Medtronic and I'm with the American College of Cardiology, that must mean that we're cousins or something!

First song I ever played in public, in 1966, was Hey There Little Red Riding Hood.

I still love that song, and I wish that I'd owned my two Celebrities then instead of the Teisco/Silvertone I played it on.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

vibramutant1965

Postby vibramutant1965 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:17 pm

holy smokes!

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:19 pm

vibramutant1965 wrote:holy smokes!

Hum a line or two of that...I'm sure I could pick it up...

olrnr
Olrocknroller

DRBILL

Postby DRBILL » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 am

The "switches" on the control plate - the GREEN "mini" toggle is a TTDP (triple throw - double pole) that is the COIL selector for the Bridge Pickup - towards the neck is the "back" coil, the middle position is BOTH coils and towards the bridge is the "front" coil... The YELLOW switch is the exact same function but for the neck pickup... The RED mini-toggle is a DTDP (double Throw - double throw) and is the BRIDGE polarity switch - throw it down and the bridge pickup is ELECTRICALLY out of phase with the Neck pickup - need the "Rickey Jangle" run the pups out of phase... If you make your way to YOU-TUBE and search for The Memphis Road Dawgs Demo - during "MY GIRL" you can hear the out-of-phase tone... I HAVE to say that this "switching" network coupled with the normal pickup selector switch and you can get "almost" ANY sound you so desire - Gibson Humbucker, Tele Bite, Strat quack, Gretsch/Guild Bass note definiton and "twang", and lets not forget the "RICKY Chime" and best of all that CLASSIC MOSRITE CLEAN... I STILL say that this is THE STANDARD by which I judge all others... I go into the local Memphis music stores play a couple of axes through the "latest" amp and then I go home dig out a "couple" of my axes with my ORIGINAL 65 Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb (with a JBL D-120f) and say to myself "SELF these are STILL way better than anything on the market today - why spend a dime on the newer gear" - and I keep my wallet in my back pocket - LOL...

DRBILL

Postby DRBILL » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:14 am

A promise to all - one day, when I have a couple of HOURS on my hands, I will tell the WHOLE story about this ole gal - MOST of my musician friend say I need to write a book about this restoration and the path that caused the need... I tell everyone that if I do it most likely will end up in the fiction section as the history of this one is - well lets just say you would of had to have been there, I was an I still can't get over this one!

Dr. Bill

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:49 am

Cool! I'm going to have to take a stab at wiring one up like this. I'm also really looking forward to "the rest of the story". :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

DRBILL

Postby DRBILL » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:30 am

Well HELLO everyone - I am FINALLY to the point in my life where I am "slowing down" - GRIN... AND I am BACK on this forum... My old Celebrity is still looking and playing EXCELLENT... I am finally ready to share my little (sic) story of my ole Mosrite which I have affectionately nicknamed "OLE RED"...

The story starts in the summer of 1964, in Lake Village Arkansas. I was visiting my guitar idol, Ronnie Bruce, at the Livingston's Bait Shop in Lake Chiot State Park. I was sick because my Bass Player, Steve Goodwin, stole the "parts" guitar my farther and I had built for my 1st "major" gig in a soon to be nationally known band. Ronnie Bruce was consoling me, we were "jamming" on a couple of guitars Ronnie had - he on his Joe Maphis Mosrite me on a Fender Mustang. I looked out the front window and up pulls an ole caddy and this rather distinguished looking gent got out went to his trunk and pulled out two guitar cases. As he walked in Ronnie greeted him with "Semie, you old hound dog how are you?"... I asked who Semie was and was in total awe when Ronnie told me who "he" was. Ronnie and Semie talked for a while sharing some "road tales" with me listening intently. Ronnie related my tale of woe to Semie who smiled and nodded at me (I still remember this to this day) and when to that ole caddy and pulled an arch-top case out of the back seat and brought it into the shop. He opened the case, strummed a few chords tuned the guitar and handed it to me. To me that was the prettiest guitar I had ever seen - Semie prompted me to "play something" - which I did. While I was playing all of my "head tunes" Semie bid Ronnie "Bye" and left! I looked at Ronnie and exclaimed "He left this guitar"! Ronnie replied "He does this all the time - it is yours"... I have to say that I started crying when the ole caddy drove back up. I figured that he came back for his guitar - instead Semie told me that is a prototype for a new model, the Celebrity, that he was working on. Again I figured he came back to get his guitar, it was then that he asked me my birth-date. He went to the trunk of the caddy and pulled out a 4-5' square 6-7" tall wooden box - a number punch set and proceeded to punch, into the fretboard, between the last two frets 62948 - my birth-date. It was then that Semie told me "That guitar is yours with the condition that you take really good care of her, she is special". The tears started and kept up for a while while the old caddy drove off...

During my next post will come the later "run-in" with Rene Martinez at Charlie's Guitars in Dallas Texas, George Gruhn, Dan Blum, Tim (Tym's Guitars - Brisbane Australia) and E.F. Elliot.

In the mean time SOMEONE tell me how to post photos - I did once but we all know what happened to them - grin...

DRBILL

Postby DRBILL » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:23 am

AND here is a photo of a License Plate I had made for me and Dana - I do have a couple more if anyone is interested... I have to buy a "few" due to the custom nature of this plate - GRIN...

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... Si9aQwnfBO

Dr. B (search youtube for drbillhudson)...

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”