New Guy in the House

DGW

New Guy in the House

Postby DGW » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:46 am

Hello to all!

Although I've lurked around a bit, I finally signed up recently. As a brief sketch, I'm a part-time luthier (http://www.davisguitarworks.com), with a paying job as a Director of Operations for an Architectural firm. Like many of you, I grew up listening to the Ventures and lusting after Mosrites, but couldn't afford one. I bought a '66 Ventures a few years ago (metallic blue, case, strap, etc.) in somewhat rough condition, but it's been great. As I mentioned in another thread, I recently purchased a Ventures bass, that I'll be restoring in the upcoming months (if I'm lucky) between work for DGW that pays. My guitar business started out as custom work, but has morphed into mostly work on Rickenbackers lately, focusing on customizing, but with a few restorations.

Like most guitarists, I suffer from GAS, and have collection that is fairly eclectic, currently containing the Mosrite's mentioned earlier, an '08 Slash LE USA Les Paul, two Taylor T5's (6 & 12), a Taylor K-65CE, Taylor SolidBody Classic (white), a '98 Martin SPD-16R, an '06 Lakewood M-54, an '05 Emerald (carbon fibre, made in Ireland) X30, an '07 Emerald X30 Custom Shop 12-string, an '07 Emerald X5 Life (travel guitar), a '64 Gretsch Corvette (single p'up, trapeze), an early 60's Stella Tenor (my first guitar, bought new), a Martin Backpacker, an 80's Alvarez D-size guitar (gift from my wife), and a knock-off of a Rickenbacker 310 that I built from left-over butcherblock countertop material (no, I'm not kidding). Amps consist of a '66 Fender Princeton, a recent Fender Acoustisonic, and a Peavey Renown 400 that a buddy gave to me (loud as heck, and doesn't sound too bad for an SS amp).

Larry

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: New Guy in the House

Postby dubtrub » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:35 pm

Welcome to the Mosrite Forum family, Larry.

Glad to have another luthier join our group. I think you'll fit right in and will be looking forward to the progress on your restoration of that bass. We've accumulated quite a bit of information here that may help in your project, it just takes some digging with the 'search' feature to find it. Keep us posted and with pix if you can.
Danny Ellison

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Welcome, Larry:

Nice guitar collection you have. You are one of the very few I met on fourm (except the Taylor guitar forum; Acousticguitars.com of course) who own Taylor T-5 and especially Taylor solidbody. I have 1 T-5 and 2 SB (Standard & Custom) too.

You have a nice website too.

Vincent

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi Larry, welcome to the Community :mrgreen: .
As Vincent had mentioned, nice Website, nice Guitar Collection! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

DGW

Postby DGW » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:13 am

Thanks on the comments regarding the collection. It's been an evolving effort. They all have their own unique attibutes that make them special and appropriate at different times - but there's likely always some thing out there that "has to be had". The Taylor's started out with the K-65CE, which I played on a trip to my hometown (Coshocton, Ohio) where I played it at a small shop that's almost exclusively acoustics, except for T5's, Wildwood Music. It sings like no other 12-string I've heard and it's darn pretty as well. I then bought the T5 six-string and thought that "Gee, since the K-65 sounds and plays so well, a 12-string would be cool". Then came the SolidBody ........ you know the story. I'll have to say that the Slash LP surprised me. I've played and worked on LP's over the years and they didn't do much for me, but this one's an exceptional guitar. The neck's not as fat as most, and being "weight relieved", it only weighs in a 8.6 lbs. Great sound. Fortunately my wife's an accommodating sort.

The DGW website's due for an update, which I'll probably do this fall.

Glad to be here, and I look forward to learning from y'all about the bass as its resurrection progresses.

Larry

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”