New member - Ventures II owner

Dennisthe Menace

Re: New member - Ventures II owner

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:32 pm

Jim posted:
I remember talking to Semie on the phone back in the late 80's about his warranty. He told me that as long as he was alive Mosrites were warrantied even if you pulled it out of a garbage can.

....yeah Jim...that's definitely Semie.... ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

SMP

Postby SMP » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm in Denton, TX - just north of DFW -- I'll have to update my profile. Oh yeah, and my real name is Gary ... anyway.

Regarding the original purchase, my dad sent me this: "I bought the guitar at Arnold and Morgan music, in Garland. Larry Morgan is still in Garland, and they were the big Mosrite distributor in the Dallas area when Mosrites first came out." For anyone interested - it was $240 - Strats were $265. It probably was 1964-ish when he originally purchased it - the return/replacement took place more around 65-66.

We're planning to go out to Larry Morgan Music in Garland and talk with him a bit - he has some stories about dealing with Mosrite back in the day. I guess they were pretty loose - always changing things - some might say disorganized, a handful to manage.

We also discussed the bridge pickup a little - he had it replaced at Charley's Guitar Shop in the late 70's or early 80's - the old one probably went to the dumpster. That explains why it's such a later model with exposed screws on the pole pieces.

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Wow, that's quite a story. Too bad they didn't replace it with the original slab body...

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:22 am

Now there's a guitar with a history... great story too, I enjoyed reading it and look forward to the next 'installment'! :)

Welcome Gary,
Paul

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:30 pm

I realize this topic is five years old but I wanted to add the thought that, I heard Semie Moseley didn't like the original Slab Body type guitar; So, Does that have anything to do with why it was replaced with the later German Carve type body?

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

motiersbad
Valued Member

Postby motiersbad » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:26 pm

101Volts wrote:I realize this topic is five years old but I wanted to add the thought that, I heard Semie Moseley didn't like the original Slab Body type guitar; So, Does that have anything to do with why it was replaced with the later German Carve type body?

Austin

as far as i know is that the guitar looked to cheap for a Mosrite "junior" version.

best regards,
Phil

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:16 pm

motiersbad wrote:
101Volts wrote:I realize this topic is five years old but I wanted to add the thought that, I heard Semie Moseley didn't like the original Slab Body type guitar; So, Does that have anything to do with why it was replaced with the later German Carve type body?

Austin

as far as i know is that the guitar looked to cheap for a Mosrite "junior" version.

best regards,
Phil

Yeah, That's what I heard too. Also Semie didn't make a Slab Body type guitar for Johnny Ramone later on but he made the Sharkfin type guitar, I'm not sure why yet though.

Austin

motiersbad
Valued Member

Postby motiersbad » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 pm

101Volts wrote:
motiersbad wrote:

Austin

best regards,
Phil

Yeah, That's what I heard too. Also Semie didn't make a Slab Body type guitar for Johnny Ramone later on but he made the Sharkfin type guitar, I'm not sure why yet though.

Austin

You mean the V2? Okay, when i think in Semies Person : Theres a guy in a music band, who plays a mosrite guitar ... good marketing. the only problem is, that he plays our cheapest model ever that doesnt look like a mosrite.

I think this was the reason, why Semie made Johnny a Signature Model with german carve

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Neat story and pics! I'd consider it extra-special since it had a german carve added after final completion! Welcome to the forum...
Scott

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:17 pm

I'm bumping this thread from 2008 again, as I should probably add this little bit: this isn't the only Ventures II Slab that was confiscated and replaced with a Carved Ventures II. I also spoke with the former owner of one Blue model on Facebook, but he didn't remember the serial number (if he ever looked at it for the 6 or so months that he owned it.)

That said, my main point is: I speculate that Mosrite re-used the parts of returned Slab models for other guitars. Mosrite do have a reputation of being thrifty on occasion, after all:

Tim Brennan said that he had recorded a few Carved models in the B060 - B080 range, so that could account for 3 "Slab" necks that were replaced.

As for the pickups, I have a vague idea that they were just put into covers for Carved models. I don't have a picture of a dis-assembled Carved / Mark V pup handy, but judging by my memory of photos that MaxKat shared years back, they did look similar if not the same.

The knobs could have been re-used for random Carved models like B674 (which has the wrong knobs.)

If the pickups are the same, the electronics shouldn't have any difference.

The Bodies could have had the neck heel cut off to be re-purposed as Mel-O-Bar models, with just a little routing and sanding and a re-paint. Some of the Mel-O-Bar models have the same exact body outline, except for the neck pocket area - and it would be nothing to cut the heel off and sand it smooth for a Mel-O-Bar, before a repaint.

- Austin

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”