Full customised H60C OrangeCrate

arpsum

Full customised H60C OrangeCrate

Postby arpsum » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi All,
As I showed you the electric modification for Ed Elliott's guitar, now I made it for Hallmark Guitars H60C. Completely optimized for the tube guitar amplifiers, very good sound with no noise.

panther
Top Producer

Re: Full customised H60C OrangeCrate

Postby panther » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Nice work, looks great.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Holy Shnikies! Let's see the Orange Crate!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Looks cool, though I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:43 am

Yowza! Looks like a piece from the Apollo mission. Very impressive. Would love to see and hear a video A/B of this vs. the traditional wiring.

Nice job!

arpsum

Postby arpsum » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi All,

This is Orange Crate with special modification. There seem to be no modification except for the pickups, but I did many things for this axe about not only electric wiring but also physical reinforcement. I'll explain the electric wiring at first, and describe about physical reinforcement later. Please see the points below and the previous image.

Pipeline tuning: to improve noise resistance against external noise between pickup selector and volume pot
Matching filter: to compensate the electrical balance of two pickups
Custom made professional potentiometer: instead of conventional volume pot for the best sound at any level setting
Mid range tone controller: referred to Gibson L6-S and other semi-acoustic guitars
Dead stock parts: each capacitor and resister, Siemens' output jack, and Ed Elliott pickups to get more substantial power for the live performance

In addition to above, I carefully hooked up the ground line to avoid the potential difference. As a result, I got the extraordinarily clear and powerful sound I have ever heard.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:26 pm

So what does the bullet casing do?

I feel like I've asked about that before. Dejavu?

arpsum

Postby arpsum » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38 pm

The circuit around the pickup selector is so called "Matching filter", and this contains the bullet case. I encapsulated an original coil and some parts into this bullet case against an external noise.

Electricity is often compared to river. Just imagine two different rivers join here. If one is much stronger than the other, they don't merge equally. That is the same with the pickup signals, they have to be controlled by proper dam even if individually selected. I made it with some LCR circuit and succeeded to make every output sound better.

Maybe you can easily make sense assuming the pickup selector to the ball valve in the picture above.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:01 am

Isn't balance between the pickups achieved by setting the height of each pickup? I'm not knocking what you've done. At the very least it looks ingenious and amazing. I'm just curious.

What part of that contraption combats the noise inherent to single coils?

arpsum

Postby arpsum » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:48 am

Please imagine two singers sing in front of one microphone at a studio. As one singer sings aloud than the other, an engineer tells the singer to keep distance from the microphone. When it comes to doing so, the mix balance will be better in fact. However, the mixing result would be affected by some room acoustic effects.

One more example, please see the pix below, Even if the water runs energetically through the small thread hose, it trickles through the large thread hose. The conventional pickup selector is just lke two in one hose attachment. If two water flows with different strength come into it, what would happen there? Maybe some of strong flow would go backward to weak flow. How do you fix this for energetic water flow from outlet port?

These examples explain the good sound is consists of not only signal level but also its impedance. I fix this problem involved in conventinal circuits with my "Matching filter".

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”