60 custom pickups underwound: more twang or less character?

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

60 custom pickups underwound: more twang or less character?

Postby Strat-o-rama » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:23 am

Long time since I posted. Love my 60 Custom. I've had it for years and has served me well. Just thinking, and purely conjecture: If I wanted more twang from those great 60 Custom pick-ups, would underwinding them do the trick? Anyone here have any experience with this? I know a lot of you guys go the other way to drive Marshalls, but I'm more in the surfy direction. Think Fender reverb tank into Fender amps, with a touch of break-up. Any opinions?

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: 60 custom pickups underwound: more twang or less charact

Postby Greg_L » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:26 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:Long time since I posted. Love my 60 Custom. I've had it for years and has served me well. Just thinking, and purely conjecture: If I wanted more twang from those great 60 Custom pick-ups, would underwinding them do the trick? Anyone here have any experience with this? I know a lot of you guys go the other way to drive Marshalls, but I'm more in the surfy direction. Think Fender reverb tank into Fender amps, with a touch of break-up. Any opinions?

So you want less output? Just thinking out loud...I'm thinking a 500k audio taper vol pot would be a good way to reduce output with a twist of the knob without sacrificing top end or clarity. And it's cheap and easy to do.

My 60C had 250k linear pots. The roll off was murky and I had to turn the knob way down to really clean up. With 500k audio pots, the first little 1/3 of range knocks enough of the edge off to clean up easily and preserve tone. I know I'm going for a different style than you are, but my point is that the pot change alone really made my vol rolling from roaring Marshall to clean and chimey more transparent and predictable.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:41 am

Hello and thanks for the thread!

We also have a magnet switch that will give you the jangle that you are looking for without altering the bobbin or having to purchase a new set of pickups. Everyone we have made these for said it did the trick for them.

You can PM me if you are interested.

Best and thanks again, Bob

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks Bob.
I will keep my current 60 Custom as is. I see a '65 Custom in my future with the modification you are referring to. I just need to get my proverbial "stuff" together. Look forward to seeing the '65's when they come in.
Thank you Greg for your input as well.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:12 am

Well cool! It will be fairly soon. I will make a post when the 65's are ready.

Best, and thanks, Bob

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Glad this came up. I used to use Monster cables and ended up having to change my input jacks (I'm a Mogami man now).
I figured I would throw in some 500k pots and new 3 way. I honestly miss the 250k pots. I think they had more punch and treble. Any one have any better knowledge then what I am reading on the internet or hearing from others?

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”