New owner of lefty Custom 60 checking in

Brendan

New owner of lefty Custom 60 checking in

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Brendan and I'm a southpaw who's a big fan of 60's instrumental music. That's a big reason why a Mosrite has been on my wish list for a long time, but the rarity and price has kept one out of reach. When the first batch of left handed Custom 60's came out in 2011(?), I found out too late and I figured the probability of ever finding one used was extremely small. Last week I found one shortly after it was listed on Reverb. Bad picture here.
http://i.imgur.com/4YQ9aVA.jpg
There's even history on it at this site from the previous owner. I did notice that the vibrato arm is loose and missing a washer. I did my research and knew this was a possibility. I took the arm off and this is what I have. It appears someone was adding washers(?) on the bottom. No washer between the arm and pivot.
http://i.imgur.com/8pzTvIZ.jpg

I'm going to look for a suitable plastic washer, but is there also some sort of sleeved washer used? There's more than up and down movement - some side to side as well. What was the factory hardware like?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Re: New owner of lefty Custom 60 checking in

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Hello and congrats on the Hallmark!

What you need is to take a piece of thin leather and cut a washer out of it carefully. That is the best material to use for between the arm and the rocker for long time stability. I don't think Jerry used anything between them which was a mistake, but he did not know. I believe all the lefty guys had to make their own washers on the first batch from Jerry.

Jerry has more 60 Customs in stock and from what I hear is still trying to come up with the arms and rockers for them. It has been some time, I hope he finishes them soon for all you southpaws.

Bob

FrankJames
Top Producer

Postby FrankJames » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, Brendan !!

Brendan

Postby Brendan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Bob Shade wrote:Hello and congrats on the Hallmark!

What you need is to take a piece of thin leather and cut a washer out of it carefully. That is the best material to use for between the arm and the rocker for long time stability. I don't think Jerry used anything between them which was a mistake, but he did not know. I believe all the lefty guys had to make their own washers on the first batch from Jerry.

Jerry has more 60 Customs in stock and from what I hear is still trying to come up with the arms and rockers for them. It has been some time, I hope he finishes them soon for all you southpaws.

Bob

Thanks, Bob!

Should there be four small washers under the bolt for that arm?

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:31 am

The leather washer mod really works. I found out about it on this forum right before I ordered my 60 Custom in 2010--I asked Bob S. to set up my guitar that way, as I don't like the vibrato arm to spin. Highly recommended. Thanks, Bob!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:06 am

All you need is the leather washer, one lock washer, and the nut. The lock washer and nut go on the bottom and the leather washer goes between the arm and the rocker.

Bob

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”