New 65 Custom special paint job in white/ gold marble!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

New 65 Custom special paint job in white/ gold marble!

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:44 am

Hello forum friends!

Here is a custom finish we just completed for a new customer that wanted our 65 Custom to look like it was made from a chunk of white and gold marble! We are always up for a challenge as you guys are already aware of.

I thought Pearl White and real gold flakes in the clear finish would do the trick. It is difficult to see in the pics just how the paint and the gold shimmer together but it looks crazy in person. He also wanted gold hardware with our old barrel knobs and a Hallmark humbucker with a split coil tap in the bridge position for some spankin Tele sounds as well as Hallmark signature tones. He reported that he has been playing the guitar out at gigs and is getting reactions from ever guitar player in the room. They all have questions and want to play it and know more about it.

Here is the guitar:

Best, and thank for looking!! Bob Shade

BRRanger
Top Producer

Re: New 65 Custom special paint job in white/ gold marble!

Postby BRRanger » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:12 am

Bob, the paint job is indeed unique and I'm sure the photos don't do it justice. But the best part is that you do the custom work requested without hesitation!
Best regards,
Scott

Vance Directive

Postby Vance Directive » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Bob, that is so freakin' cool! The player should wear a chiton ('toga') and a Hallmark wreath on his head. Plus he should look like Adonis.

I myself made a 'Solid Gold Teisco', beginning about 9 yrs ago by prepping Teisco 'tulip' guitar body as one would a painting frame for a gild, with animal hide glue, traditional gesso and clay bole. Then I attempted to do the gild and the gold leaf made a mess, plus my burnishing agate was wrong. I abandoned the project then came back at it 7 yrs later, having bought a good Chinese agate knife on ebay for all of $5, and 3 books of 24k leaf. I'm a lousy gilder, but with gold stuff looks pretty awesome anyhow you do it. When the gild was done, I french polished it with lemon lacquer and it took on a deep burnt orange hue that is quite striking. I overdid the lacquer and it took months to set up, whereas it should take days (this was my first french polish). If requeste, I will post pictures here.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:38 am

Thanks, the customer had named the new guitar "Goldy Rocks".

Vance, that Teisco sounds really cool, thanks for sharing and a pic would be great!

Best, Bob

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:09 am

Saw this on Rodney's FB. Awesome!

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”