My new 65 Custom! Many thanks to Bob Shade.

murdog44

My new 65 Custom! Many thanks to Bob Shade.

Postby murdog44 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:48 pm

After ranting about the slide in the Canadian dollar, I just decided "to heck with it" and go for it anyway.

I called Bob Shade, who was his usual friendly and helpful self, in spite of my unusual request.

I wanted to take a driving vacation and stop into Greenbelt and pick it up. Without skipping a beat, Bob was agreeable to the idea, so we made arrangements for pickup.

I was looking at a pearl white 60 custom, but the clean lines of the 65 custom had really grown on me. He informed me that he only had pearl white stock in the 65 model at the current time. That made the decision to go with the 65 dead easy!

During our travel, Bob contacted me about my preferences with scratch guard colour, and choice of case. I opted for the traditional tortoise guard, but went for the silver alligator MOAM case. I didn't know he had to put the guitar together for me, or that I had any choice about how I wanted it configured, so I was pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail and special effort I was afforded.

At his suggestion, Bob took time from his busy schedule to bring the guitar from his shop and meet me at his home, where I could try it out on one of his amps. When my wife and I pitched up at his door, he came out and warmly welcomed us to Greenbelt and and to his home, where he presented me with the coolest guitar I have ever seen!

Having met and chatted with the man, I can tell you that Bob is in fact the same in person as he is online. A friendly, nice guy who is passionate about guitars, very knowledgable and enthusiastic, and deservedly proud of his own particular brand of guitar.

Now that I am home and playing it in my comfort zone, I am 'blown away' by the sound, playability and top notch quality of this instrument!
At the moment I am spending too much time just looking at it instead of playing it, but soon I'm sure I will work it till my fingers are bloody.
I am sure that if Semie Moseley was alive and making guitars today, this would be the sort of guitar he would make. Bob Shade has improved on the design of a legendary guitar and brought it up to a whole new level. The Hallmark 65 custom is a very fine instrument in it's own rite and made to be played... a lot.

The decline of the Canadian dollar brought the price to $1344.50 and I still consider it to be a great deal on a great guitar. Considering that a mass produced american standard Stratocaster costs $1630.00 in Canada right now, I consider the Hallmark to be a tremendous value.

To me it was worth every penny, and worth every minute of the 10 hour drive down to get it.
I know I will get a lot of comments and questions from musician friends who see and hear it, and I will recommend Hallmark guitars to anyone that wants to know.

Murray Reid
Ottawa, Canada

Thanks very much Bob for all your help. I promise to use the proper channels next time.

Imageurl=http://s611.photobucket.com/user/murdog44/media/guitars/4983605a-db49-4cef-be76-5ac416eab81b_zpstgwvb4gg.jpg.html]Image[/url]

BRRanger
Top Producer

Re: My new 65 Custom! Many thanks to Bob Shade.

Postby BRRanger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:27 pm

Congratulations Murdog, and welcome to the Legion of happy Hallmark owners! Great choice, beautiful finish with the tortoise guard.
A fellow Hallmark owner...
Scott

SASouth

Postby SASouth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Congrats! That sure is a beautiful guitar.

I know that the longer you own and play it the more you'll love it.

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Stunning! Now I want a new case! lol and 10 more Hallmarks... :lol:

murdog44

Postby murdog44 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:50 am

thanks for the kind thoughts!

I still feel like a little kid on christmas morning!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:22 am

Very cool story. Congrats!

StevieSTL
Valued Member

Postby StevieSTL » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:32 pm

-- That's a beautiful guitar! Congrats and thanks for the story and pics.
The gangster looks so frightening, with his luger in his hand
When he gets home to his children, he's a family man
But when it comes to the nitty-gritty, he can shove in his knife
Yes he really looks quite religious, he's been an outlaw all his life

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:48 am

Many thanks to Murray and wife!

I can hardly believe you came down from Canada to purchase a 65 Custom down in Md.!

It was very nice to meet you and I really enjoy meeting new friends and seeing who plays our guitars!

I hope the guitar brings you years of enjoyment and you did not wear your car out!

Bob Shade

murdog44

Postby murdog44 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:47 am

Speaking of hardly believing...

As I recall, somebody we know had just gotten back from a weekend road trip to Detroit!
That is only 1 hour less each way than what I did.

You know when it's really important , "ya just gotta do what's ya gotta do". :lol:

BTW still thrilled with the guitar!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:56 am

Ok guilty as charged. Actually I really LOVE road trips and always look forward to them. You are correct. When it is good stuff, you gotta do what you gotta do! :)

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”