Mosrite Combo project at Hallmark Guitars

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Mosrite Combo project at Hallmark Guitars

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Hey guys! Just finished (no pun intended) up a Combo for a customer in Candy Apple Red metallic. We are happy to finish your Mosrite guitar projects. Just let us know how we can assist through a PM or feel free to call or e-mail. We have vintage parts and know how to finish the guitar to make it look brand new again.

Cheers! Bob Shade/ Hallmark Guitars
240-473-1157

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite Combo project at Hallmark Guitars

Postby KRamone27 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:49 pm

Love the color!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Yea me too. You can barely tell but it is a coarse metallic gold under the candy red with a good amount of clear. It really pops in person. ;)

SASouth

Postby SASouth » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:24 am

Wow, Bob. :o That looks fantastic! If my Combo wasn't all original, I'd definitely consider having you do mine.

It's pretty clean on the front and back except for a good size ding on the lower horn. I've considered having it fixed but I'm not sure how much it would affect the value.

rocguitar

Postby rocguitar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 am

Looks really nice Bob!

Please update us on the finished project and, if "before and after" pics are available.......that would be really cool too!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks guys,

SASouth, you would want to keep your Combo original. It is not in bad shape fro the looks of the pics. This body was bare wood when I got it and the customer wanted it in Candy Apple Red.

The customer has the rest of the parts and is completing the job on his end. He simply wanted us to do the heavy lifting with the finish. However, I do have 2 more Combo's that are stripped and will be getting all dressed up too.

I also just shot a 1965 Mosrite Vibramute in Candy Red Metallic (body only neck natural) as well. It will be completed shortly. I will post pics of that too. There are alot of molested Mosrites out there! I am glad I collected all those vintage parts over the years so when I find a stripped one I am still in good shape.

I have been restoring Mosrite's since the 70's and have the original silk screens for the logo's. I have seen just about everything that has happened to some of these and taken care of it. I love bringing them back from the dead and making them look like they just rolled off the assembly line from the 60's in Bakersfield but now in brand new completely restored condition.

I just sold a 1965 Mosrite Ventures Vibramute I restored in Candy Red to a super fellow in Las Vegas. He loves the guitar but had never had a vintage Mosrite and could not deal with the micro frets. He decided to have it re fretted. I don't ever re-fret the vintage models unless the customer really wants it done. Most guys like the small frets as it is part of the whole Mosrite thing, but I have to admit, they do play great too when you re fret them. I like them both ways.

If anyone would like their Mosrite restored feel free to inquire!

Bob Shade
hallmarkguitars@verizon.net
240-473-1157

rocguitar

Postby rocguitar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Just for the record here, this is one of Bob's superb restorations. It's a 1964 Mosrite Vibramute in Pearl White!

Great job Bob!!!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/rocguitar/DSC_0015%207_zpsbf3szzjw.jpg

SASouth

Postby SASouth » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Bob Shade wrote:SASouth, you would want to keep your Combo original. It is not in bad shape from the looks of the pics.

I get what you're saying. I wouldn't seriously consider completely refinishing my Combo, but the thought has crossed my mind to have a spot repair done to that big ding on the top lower horn. I'll most likely leave it alone.

I've also considered, perhaps a little more seriously about having it refretted with frets like my 60 Custom to make it more playable. I hesitate because of originality issue. However, the frets on it are really low and I don't play it as much as I would if it was easier to play and bend strings.

It's a conundrum.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Yes the spot on the horn could use a nice little repair. It would most likely be pretty invisible as it would be an easy match in the black area. I hear you on the frets. Do the frets have wear? What condition is the fingerboard in?

Rocguitar, I hope you are enjoying that sweet 64 Pearl White!

I still have the 65 Ventures PW 4 sale super minty! You need another one! ;)

Best,

Bob

SASouth

Postby SASouth » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:39 am

The fingerboard is in great shape. The frets do not really look worn down,but look more like the typical skinny, low Mosrite speed frets. On any other guitar I'd say that it needs a fret job. On a Mosrite--I dunno.

I'd hate to lose the serial number on a refret as I've seen happen on at least one occasion. Someone else's guitar not mine.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”