Had a mini Hallmark fest this weekend

TriflerShawn

Had a mini Hallmark fest this weekend

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 am

My friend Brian was in town this weekend, so he dropped by to visit.
We had a bit of a Hallmark "show and tell" He recently got a MOAM signature. We a/b'd the sig model with my 60 custom.
They are very similar, but there's a definite difference in the two models. Not sure if it's the bolt on vs set-neck, or if the
pickups are slightly different, but I heard a bit different sound coming out of the sig model. Feel wise they were very similar.
They weighed about the same, and the necks were very similar. It's a really cool guitar. The pickguard is AWESOME!!

I had a hard time prying my Deke out of Brian's hands!

jfine
Top Producer

Re: Had a mini Hallmark fest this weekend

Postby jfine » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:40 am

Interesting! How would you describe the difference between the two?

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:46 am

I would say the MOAM has a slightly difference, bit more trebly response. Possibly because of the bolt on neck.
I'm not 100% sure that the pickups are same. There was just enough of a difference that we noticed, but it was not a night and day thing at all.
My 60 Custom felt a slight bit heavier, again maybe due to the neck construction. The hardware was the same on both, bridge and trem were identical.
One other difference was the nut on the MOAM, it's an actual metal nut and not a fret like on my 60 Custom. Not sure if that affects the tone at all.

They both are awesome guitars, fit and finish wise they really rock. Kudos to Bob and the Hallmark team for yet another AWESOME guitar!

https://flic.kr/p/oKqTCh

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:47 am

Shawn, I really like the pic of the 3 different Hallmark models!

Yes you are spot on the MOAM? model does sound brighter than the 60 Custom and yes the reason why is that is is a bolt on neck. Whenever you add metal to the equation, the sound brightens up.

This was the same result in our Stradette models as well. The Vintage Series with the bolt on necks are brighter than the Custom Series with the set necks. Never planned, just is.

I think since this is the case, that everyone should have one of each. :) We will stand by.

Bob

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:29 am

The MOAM model is a definite winner. Looks sharp, plays great. What more could you ask for????

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:02 am

TriflerShawn:
"The MOAM model is a definite winner. Looks sharp, plays great. What more could you ask for????"

A bolt on neck '65 model?

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”