Beginning to think I need a new nut on my 60Custom

TriflerShawn

Beginning to think I need a new nut on my 60Custom

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:07 am

Played a show Sunday. Brought the 60Custom out to play. First off, it sounded GREAT!!! Got a lot of compliments, and some puzzled musicians came up to check out my "Mosrite"
As usual, I have them the Hallmark story, and told them to check out the brand. Gotta get the word out!

Anyhow, a couple of times I got a bit aggressive and popped the e string out of the string guide. I'm thinking about replacing the string guide with one of the metal nuts.
How involved is this? I love the guitar, but can't have the string popping out of the grooves like that.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Beginning to think I need a new nut on my 60Custom

Postby Greg_L » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 am

The string guide doesn't perform the same function as a nut. A nut is usually one end of the string's vibration length. Since the 60C uses a zero fret instead of a nut, I think putting a nut in place of the string guide will screw up the scale length and intonation, maybe? It would lift the string off of the zero fret. I'm just thinking out loud. Check with Mr Bob Shade.

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:28 am

The metal nut or just grooved fret basically only serves on purpose, to keep the strings in place and guide them to the tuners.
Since there is a zero fret, I would think one would just have to replace the fret with a nut and should be good.

Bob?? What say ye??? :D

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:33 am

Do you have one of the first run 60C's with the bone string guide and black headstock??

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 am

Bob Shade wrote:Do you have one of the first run 60C's with the bone string guide and black headstock??

Nope, later. It has a fret string guide.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:42 am

Oh, now I understand. Wow, you are the first person to have that issue with the old time fret guide that I am aware of. I would suggest a larger piece of fret wire for the guide. You would need to do some surgery for the machined string guide to fit. I have string guides as you may suppose if you need one, but I would go the larger piece of fret wire route. It will do the job. There is alot less chance of an error or finish cracking or popping etc.

Or you can just tell the string to not pop out when you rock out. This may work too.

Bob

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Bob Shade wrote:Oh, now I understand. Wow, you are the first person to have that issue with the old time fret guide that I am aware of. I would suggest a larger piece of fret wire for the guide. You would need to do some surgery for the machined string guide to fit. I have string guides as you may suppose if you need one, but I would go the larger piece of fret wire route. It will do the job. There is alot less chance of an error or finish cracking or popping etc.

Or you can just tell the string to not pop out when you rock out. This may work too.

Bob

HA!...Maybe if I yell at the string enough!!! :lol:
I'm going to try doing one more wind of the low E, maybe the increased down pressure will keep it from moving.
It doesn't happen often, so it's not a huge deal, but just looking at my options. I'll keep you posted.
Let me reiterate though.........I LOVE the feel and sound of the 60 Custom. Awesome guitar all around.

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:26 pm

I have the same style nut on one of my Hallmarks (Just the fret Marker). At first I was worried about having the same problem. It has only happened to me once and never had it happen again after a full setup. That might help too. Just some new strings and tension. I have thought about replacing the nut to the traditional style now that Bob has more, but it feels like putting a child under cosmetic surgery. :)

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm trying to understand this scenario and terminology......

There is no "nut" on my 60C. It's got a zero fret, which acts like a nut in the sense that it's the end of the string's vibration length, but it has no effect on aligning the strings. That's the job of the string guide, which has nothing to do with the vibrational length of the strings. The zero fret and guide are totally independent of each other. Here's mine....

Is yall's like this?

Is your string popping out of the steel guide? Mine's never done that. Only guide issue I've ever had was that it came un-glued one time.

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Greg_L wrote:I'm trying to understand this scenario and terminology......

Is your string popping out of the steel guide? Mine's never done that. Only guide issue I've ever had was that it came un-glued one time.

Greg, on my 60 Custom the is a zero fret, and then right behind it where the string guide is on yours, there is another fret. This fret had grooves in it for the strings.
Don't have a pic of mine handy, but I found this one...

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”