Tremolo arm adjustment 'on the fly'

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Tremolo arm adjustment 'on the fly'

Postby SanchoPansen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:26 am

Hey folks,
after 1 year of constant playing my 60C's the trem arm on my main axe (red/silver/blue) just isn't that tight anymore to a point where it starts to get annoying.
I am aware that I can tighten it up again by taking off the strings, removing the spring and using a screwdriver (btw, is it a Phillips or slotted?)
Is there any way to do this 'on the fly'? I'm playing a gig tonight and have to admit that I've been too lazy to take care of this issue before the last practice.
My Mosrite trem arms are attached with a nut and I've cut out a wrench shape of an old credit card. This 'tool' fits between the spring and holds the nut. You can simply turn the arm to tighten it up just enough. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Sancho

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Tremolo arm adjustment 'on the fly'

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:33 am

I've used dental floss under the arm as a temporary shim. It should get you through a gig. For a longer term solution I recommend putting some liquid threadlocker on the next time you have the strings off to tighten the screw.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:47 am

You're the man, Mel! Thanks for the advice. The show's been a blast.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:50 am

Nice setup. I love the Fender stack!

The best way to take care of the trem issue is to make a leather washer and replace the old one.

That is a good idea Mel had for a temp solution, I never would have thought of that.

Bob

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:02 pm

As I was getting ready to order my 60 Custom a few years ago, I saw a post on this very forum regarding loosening up of the trem arm and the leather-washer fix. I asked Bob Shade if he'd do that mod for me, and he did--thanks, Bob! I've had the guitar almost four years now, and the arm's still as solid as it was on delivery. I never would have known about that if I hadn't seen the original post, so, whoever posted it, thank you!

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks for the great advice. I'll put some leather under all the arms I have. Suede or regular leather?

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”