Another new 60 Custom owner here!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Another new 60 Custom owner here!

Postby Greg_L » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:53 am

Hello all. As the title says, I got my new 60 Custom last weekend, and I must say, it's a true beauty! It's just fantastic. I've always had more traditional guitars - Les Paul, Strats, SG, etc - but I've always been a fan of Mosrites and surf-style oddballs, but have never owned anything worth raving about, until now. The 60 Custom is just breathtaking. The fit and fish and playability are second to none. Sitting or standing, it's wonderfully balanced and plays like butter. Very inspiring to play for hours. And the finish....forget about it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a guitar with better visual appeal at this price point or even way more. I've seen countless Gibsons, Fenders, and PRS guitars that don't look and feel as smooth and *finished* as this guitar feels. The body and neck binding and fret ends are just perfect. Look and feel and sound are all just top notch. I haven't yet really run it's through it's paces in a higher gain application (I am mainly an old punk rocker playing through big Marshalls after all) but I don't doubt that it will thrive there as well.

Fit, finish, playability, sound, are all great. But for me, one of the more important factors was trust. I was a little leery about forking over money through cyberspace to a man that I don't know for a guitar that wasn't yet available at the time. After a few emails exchanged with Mr Shade, who always responded very promptly, professionally, and by personally answering all of my rambling questions, I felt comfortable with taking the plunge and I placed my order. I was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. On the 8th week, the guitar was in my hands. Right on time and as promised. Kudos to Mr Bob Shade for making these beautiful guitars and giving those of us who want an improved "Mosrite" something to drool over at a great value. I'm a fan for life.

Here's some pics:

Part of the family....

Gonna roar through these things...

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Re: Another new 60 Custom owner here!

Postby SanchoPansen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 am

That looks great! I wish mine was here already. Ordered in August 2012 :-/ But Bob assured me it will be sent out soon.

kgruggett

Postby kgruggett » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:28 am

Beautiful, enjoy playing it
Kathy

loud3tone

Postby loud3tone » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 am

I like how different aspects of the Sunset Sparkle finish predominate under different kinds of lighting. Glad you included a back view, that teardrop 'burst pattern is on my new 3-tone too, I've seen it on some original Mosrites and the Hallmark version is yet another invocation of the best features of the originals. Crank that stack and enjoy!

FrankJames
Top Producer

Postby FrankJames » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I'd say it was well worth the wait....

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks, loving it so far!

thommac

Postby thommac » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey Greg_L,

I got my Custom 60 last Thursday, 3-tone sunburst, my experience with Bob was very similar to yours, always prompt email replies and delivery on time as promised! I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Eastwood SideJack when I came upon this forum last year and saw some references to Hallmark, went to the website, and the rest is history. Couldn't be more pleased with mine. :mrgreen:

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:33 am

thommac wrote:Hey Greg_L,

I got my Custom 60 last Thursday, 3-tone sunburst, my experience with Bob was very similar to yours, always prompt email replies and delivery on time as promised! I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Eastwood SideJack when I came upon this forum last year and saw some references to Hallmark, went to the website, and the rest is history. Couldn't be more pleased with mine. :mrgreen:

Haha! I did almost the exact same thing. I saw an Ice Blue Sidejack at a little shop up in Denton, Tx a few months back and thought, wow this is pretty cool. I almost bought it. It played okay, looked okay, but it didn't wow me. It seemed cheap. Felt cheap. I got the bug though. I started researching other Mosrite clones I knew about and considered all of them. Dillion, DePinto, Aria, Wilson Bros, Eastwood, and of course, the original - Mosrites. Most of those clones had something "off" about them, or they didn't have features I wanted. Wrong headstock, wrong body shaping, wrong carve, wrong inlays, etc. A real Mosrite would be a luxury, but I don't want to drop that kind of coin on another guitar. In a nutshell, I wanted a guitar that was aesthetically as close as possible to a real Mosrite, but with a set neck and short scale length. I wanted a Mosrite that was built sort of like a Gibson. I even entertained the idea of building one myself. I'd known about Hallmark, but I only knew of the Johnny Ramone model and as much as I love the Ramones, I didn't want that guitar. I'm not a sig model kind of guy, no matter who it is. But I checked out Hallmark anyway, and saw the 59 and 60 Custom. Bam! I was hooked. The 60 has the looks and the build that I want. It was like it was made for me. Now I own one. :D

Imre

Postby Imre » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 am

Greg_L wrote:

Haha! I did almost the exact same thing. I saw an Ice Blue Sidejack at a little shop up in Denton, Tx a few months back and thought, wow this is pretty cool. I almost bought it. It played okay, looked okay, but it didn't wow me. It seemed cheap. Felt cheap. I got the bug though. I started researching other Mosrite clones I knew about and considered all of them. Dillion, DePinto, Aria, Wilson Bros, Eastwood, and of course, the original - Mosrites. Most of those clones had something "off" about them, or they didn't have features I wanted. Wrong headstock, wrong body shaping, wrong carve, wrong inlays, etc. A real Mosrite would be a luxury, but I don't want to drop that kind of coin on another guitar. In a nutshell, I wanted a guitar that was aesthetically as close as possible to a real Mosrite, but with a set neck and short scale length. I wanted a Mosrite that was built sort of like a Gibson. I even entertained the idea of building one myself. I'd known about Hallmark, but I only knew of the Johnny Ramone model and as much as I love the Ramones, I didn't want that guitar. I'm not a sig model kind of guy, no matter who it is. But I checked out Hallmark anyway, and saw the 59 and 60 Custom. Bam! I was hooked. The 60 has the looks and the build that I want. It was like it was made for me. Now I own one. :D

Well, it happened to me in the very same way too. After permanently increasing desire for a real Ventures style guitar finally I have decided buying Hallmark 60 Custom in Fire Sparkle color. That was the best decision in my life.

Here is my guitar in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... eVf0IQblUU

Regards,

Imre

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 am

Imre wrote:
Greg_L wrote:

Well, it happened to me in the very same way too. After permanently increasing desire for a real Ventures style guitar finally I have decided buying Hallmark 60 Custom in Fire Sparkle color. That was the best decision in my life.

Here is my guitar in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... eVf0IQblUU

Regards,

Imre

Hey, very nice. Looks and sounds great!

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”