How can Hallmark be making 'Johnny Ramone' guitars?

zarfnober
Top Producer

Re: How can Hallmark be making 'Johnny Ramone' guitars?

Postby zarfnober » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:55 pm

[/quote]

Yeah but I never saw womans underwear with ramones across the butt at the merch counter when i saw them[/quote]

Maybe you should have looked at the girls standing in front of you :mrgreen:

The only problem I have with any merch is when companies are obviously bootlegging copyrighted material. Just stick with official merch. FWIW, the Ramones started selling a LOT of this stuff when they were all still alive. Johnny was also working with his wife and business partners on future merchandise right up until he died. He wanted her to be comfortable throughout the rest of her life. I can't criticize a man for that. And don't forget, bootleggers are going to copy your trademarks, so keep the money at home where it belongs.

BTW, would you rather see a girl with a lame butt tramp stamp on her backside, or a Ramones logo on her thong? You are allowed to answer both :twisted:

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 pm

GattonFan wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Ramone" wasn't the individuals' names, but the group ... Wasn't Johnny Ramone, John Cunningham? And they all took "Ramone" as a surname?
Dennis

Dee Dee came up with the name, he got it from Paul Macartney, who signed into hotels as Paul Ramon in the Silver Beatle days in Hamburg. There was a made for TV movie in the 90's where Paul is visiting John in NY, John refers to him as "Ramon". So one of the screenwriters MUST have been a Ramones fan. Dee Dee also loiked the name Phil Ramone, who produced some Billy Joel records back in the day. Plus it's just a cool name!

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:24 pm

Working in the legal industry it becomes very simple from my perspective. A person/company/entity may acquire the rights to legally produce a product. It's as simple as that. Either you have the legal right or not. Maybe it's a good idea to recognize that celebrities become "brands" and it's about marketing and making money for the celebrity as well as those around them. For a company to work with the estate of a decedent celebrity to continue to market the name is not new business. It happens all the time. For example, Gretsch is releasing a new George Harrison model. Mr. Harrison is no longer with us to approve or disapprove. However, Gretsch is working with the estate of Mr. Harrison to create a Duo Jet reminiscent of the one he used many years ago.

I don't think this is all that different. If the estate of Johnny Ramone, who owns the rights to his name, etc, wants to licensed any company or individual to use the name, they are well within their rights to do so.

I say congratulations to Bob Shade for brokering the deal and wish him the best of luck with the guitar.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:41 pm

I just would like to know where Ed Roman is getting his information from and who he's talking about. One would assume he's talking about Bob Shade but to my knowledge there is no published material nor web site claiming that Johnny played their product. It is universally known that Johnny Ramone has played nothing but a Mosrite (other than his Hammer endorsement) throughout his playing career.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:49 pm

SeanTheFunky wrote:So I was snooping around Ed Romans website out of sheer boredom and curiosity when I found this post made on his Mosrite page-

[i]Now that Johnny Ramone & Semie Moseley are no longer with us, there are people out there who are claiming things that I am sure are simply not true.
These people want you to think that Johnny played their guitars when he was alive. NOT !!!!
I was one of the lucky people who got to meet both Johnny & Semie. Personally, I think it's despicable for any company to take credit for designing any part of any of the Mosrite Guitars. Especially when they know darn well that Semie himself isn't around to call them a liar.
I think it's totally despicable for any company, to use representations or pictures of Johnny Ramone, who always played real Mosrite guitars, posing with something that is obviously an absolute fake.
If you are going to make a fake, I guess I can understand that, but to use a persons name after he is dead to try and represent that he actually played a different brand. That just plain sucks !!!!
Fakes will always exist, lets face it not everyone can afford the real thing. My thoughts are a fake is OK as long as it is represented as a fake.
[/i]

Now I dont agree with Ed on most things (who does? XD) But seriously the man has a good point. How can Hallmark make Johnny Ramone sigs when he never played one? I'm not bashing the Hallmark company because I thought their original 'Sheena and RtoR' guitars were good ideas but I just want to know your oppinions on this

IIRC that rant has been there for some time on his site. Way before Bob Shade got the rights from the Cummings/Ramone camp.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:42 pm

The rant makes me think of...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

moral: when pointing your finger at someone else, three are pointing at yourself

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Maybe it's a good idea to recognize that celebrities become "brands" and it's about marketing and making money for the celebrity as well as those around them. For a company to work with the estate of a decedent celebrity to continue to market the name is not new business.

you know, even when Sarah is speaking legal terminology, she has her mind fixated on "the celebrity" ;)
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 am

KRamone27 wrote:I just would like to know where Ed Roman is getting his information from and who he's talking about. One would assume he's talking about Bob Shade but to my knowledge there is no published material nor web site claiming that Johnny played their product. It is universally known that Johnny Ramone has played nothing but a Mosrite (other than his Hammer endorsement) throughout his playing career.

First off, Ed Roman is pretty much full of himself and it, take him with a shaker full of salt. Johnny DID play a few different Fenders, at least 2 Strats and one Mustang(on record, I wanna be your boyfriend). As for nothing but a Mosrite, some of the "Mosrites" he played were Japanese/Korean models. But for the most part, he played the real deal, and never a Hallmark unless it was a vintage model. He did play some bass(Love Kills) and owned a Gretsch way back(early to mid 60's, I think) in the day. At least one hollowbody bass too, in the Tangerine Puppets. And though he claimed that he "don't own no folk guitar", he did have a Gibson Elvis model, probably given to him by Lisa Marie to match his Elvis room. And 2 different Hamers, one had 1 pickup, the other had 2.

Rocco

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:40 am

oipunkguy wrote:you know, even when Sarah is speaking legal terminology, she has her mind fixated on "the celebrity" ;)

I guess I need some intervention or at least counseling! :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

ImNotJohnnyRamone

Postby ImNotJohnnyRamone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:53 am

From what I've read Hallmarks are pretty darn nice but I think the offical guitar will ALWAY be that black and white Mosrite.
1975 Univox Hi Flier Phase 3 (Black)
2009 Eastwood JR Elite (White)
2007 Squier Strat (Sun Burst)
1990 Cort Tele (Black)

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”