Hallmark 60's Custom

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Hallmark 60's Custom

Postby dubtrub » Sat May 10, 2008 8:36 am

It would be great to have a s/b double neck. I doubt if I'll ever build one but I could consider the idea of purchasing a Hallmark if the price was right.

Just for the sake of this ongoing 'library' of Hallmark guitars, I thought I'd post this photo that I saved to my computer taken from an auction on eBay to use as a visual reference material. I think it was for sale by an individual that participates over at SurfGuitar 101 forum.
Danny Ellison

JohnnySpitfire

Postby JohnnySpitfire » Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 am

MaxTib wrote:Ah yes, indeed he would! We'll have to lure him back here.

I believe I have three options:
1) Get a Custom 60
2) Try and somehow learn Japanese and get a Fillmore
3) Save up and buy a vintage Mosrite (would take a little while longer) - possibly a Jonas Ridge one? What's the reputation on these?

What do you all think? I think the vintage sounds like the best idea really, but it requires... waiting!!? Also, it'd mean buying from America (most likely), and I always worry about getting shafted because I'm over the pond.

Max

Hey Max
Music Ground's branch in Leeds has the Fillmore Rangers in at the moment i rang them last week, they've been keeping it a bit quiet it seems but the bloke on the phone said black & candy apple red - downside is they're £800 which is crazy money ($1600-ish currency conversion fans) upside is they'll ship them anywhere in the UK for £20 on 2 day delivery.

http://www.musicground.com/Pages/Electr ... rblack.htm

they also do some Ventures (the Manchester branch one has a white one in) but they are.....wait for it....£1400

Johnny

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 am

JohnnySpitfire wrote:they also do some Ventures (the Manchester branch one has a white one in) but they are.....wait for it....£1400

Johnny

Are they Vintage? or new? I thought the only real Ventures models are made by Wilson Bros. who own the Ventures name. Are these Aria Ventures model which are made by Wilson Bros? (made in Japan?) I haven't seen them in the US. :)

I heard there are some fake Mosrites from China, better watch for them. I saw their listing on line one time. The Seller even used Zamminc Kevin's old photos. :cry:

MaxTib

Postby MaxTib » Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 am

Desert Surfer wrote:
JohnnySpitfire wrote:they also do some Ventures (the Manchester branch one has a white one in) but they are.....wait for it....£1400

Johnny

Are they Vintage? or new? I thought the only real Ventures models are made by Wilson Bros. who own the Ventures name. Are these Aria Ventures model which are made by Wilson Bros? (made in Japan?) I haven't seen them in the US. :)

I heard there are some fake Mosrites from China, better watch for them. I saw their listing on line one time. The Seller even used Zamminc Kevin's old photos. :cry:

http://www.musicground.com/Pages/Electr ... handed.htm

Japanese copy I'm afraid. For $3,000!!!

JohnnySpitfire

Postby JohnnySpitfire » Mon May 12, 2008 11:50 am

Yep, new...thats a heck of a lot of money for a copy. Those Hallmark look sweet though!

Johnny

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Mon May 12, 2008 2:17 pm

JohnnySpitfire wrote:Yep, new...thats a heck of a lot of money for a copy. Those Hallmark look sweet though!

Johnny

$3000! That's Takai! ("expensive" in Japanese) for a Japnese clone. I think this model sell at Ed Roman for $2499? I have tried a few Rangers (Made in Japan) at Ed Roman's and liked it. (He sells at $1500 but negotiable, which is much more reasonable than his other Fillmore Mosrites)

I think it is a good deal if you can get a Ranger for $1100 at retail stores. (I think they are available from Japanese auction website around $899 one time, but you have to pay for the shipping, plus you would not be able to try them. Japanese quality should be pretty consistent, I tried 3 of them at Ed Roman's, they were very close in quality)

Wilson Bros VM65 is about $550 (made in Korea). I have not tried Hallmark 60's Custom (also made in Korea) so I don't know which one has better value. From the picture, the vibrator bar on Hallmark '60 custom seems to be better than VM65 which is a little tight and not as effective to use.

My VM65 is OK but not in the same class of Japanese clone. personally I like the Fillmore Ranger much better, but VM65 is only 1/2 the price. I bought it because of Don Wilson's autographs on guitar and on the case. :oops:

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:36 am

I noticed everyone had a pic of them with one of their guitars, well here's one of me that my wife took when she caught me rockin out in my living room.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun May 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Hey Kevin,

I use to hang my guitar the same way back in the 60's but found it more difficult to play that way. Now I wear it more like a bow tie. :D

What's with that T Shirt? :shock: ;)
Danny Ellison

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Oh yeah, The Queers are a punk rock band that are not gay by the way. I've allways hung my guitar that low because it's more comfortable to play for me.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun May 18, 2008 5:18 pm

KRamone27 wrote:Oh yeah, The Queers are a punk rock band that are not gay by the way. I've allways hung my guitar that low because it's more comfortable to play for me.

I was just kidding you Kevin. I use to wear my guitar low until my middle aged, then old aged belly forced me to move it higher so that I could reach the neck. OBTW, I have heard of the Queers punk group. I'm old but oblivious.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”