Hallmark 60's Custom

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Re: Hallmark 60's Custom

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed May 07, 2008 5:32 pm

pic taken in the glowing light of the sunset. Playing 'Penetration'. If you can play the song, you know what part this is

Improvising some E Harmonic minor scale stuff...very surfy in a Dick Dale sort of way

The "Guitar Driven Instro Rock' guitars at home. A AVRI 'Thinskin' '57 RI with 6150 frets. Not only great for instro, but a fantastic blues guitar. The Hallmark 60 Custom. A Blackburst 'The Ventures' Jazzmaster- ash body made in Japan with Seymour Duncan PU's. The buzzstop has since been removed. I found it interfered with the tremolo. I discovered the secret to JMs setups. They are very nice. I'll post more on them in the "Other Guitar" part of this forum. There's more, but this is what gets played the most.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed May 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Danny,
Your three tone sunbursts are impeccable. They are absolutely right on...but wait...if you worked at the factory in the good ole days, maybe some of the nice bursts we see on collectible guitars were done by you!. Your guitars are great...really like the blue-burst too.
Look forward to seeing your future projects.
Thanks everyone!

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 07, 2008 9:16 pm

Looks like most of us Mosrite Lovers ( or Mosrite clone lovers) have seen many a year pass by. I for one have no problems with my age as it is better that the alternative. I'm working on 58 this year. Still playing and enjoying it more that ever.

Well, I've got you all beat. I'm 62 and still think I'm a kid. Still haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up. :lol:
Danny

Well, I ain't that far behind guys, I hit 49 in September. But they say Life changes when you
hit that big "Hawaii (5-0), so I'm just a little over a year from that...But numbers don't mean
a thing....It's all in our mind how you feel :mrgreen:

If ya' wanna see an ugly pic, get a load of my fun loving personality pic on our Website. The photographer told us to look DEAD SERIOUS for this pose. Heck, I'm the ONLY one in the Group that looks like I just committed a Crime! And our Bass Player all the way to the right has that look on him like he's saying "I AIN'T SAYING NUTTIN!!!" LOL, oh well, but I look 10 YEARS OLDER than I am, V V V V V

p.s.Strat-o-rama....That Hallmark is gorgeous!!
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 07, 2008 9:46 pm

sleeperNY wrote:Looks like most of us Mosrite Lovers ( or Mosrite clone lovers) have seen many a year pass by. I for one have no problems with my age as it is better that the alternative. I'm working on 58 this year. Still playing and enjoying it more that ever. I play my Custom 60 through a Fender Twin Custom 15. I just love the sound of those big 15" speakers. It also helps that my wife plays in the band.

Sleeper, what's the name of your Group??? Wow....I think we need to set up another thread or Link(?), with Members here with Groups (bands) with Pix or Website for the Bands......

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Danny,
Your three tone sunbursts are impeccable. They are absolutely right on...but wait...if you worked at the factory in the good ole days, maybe some of the nice bursts we see on collectible guitars were done by you!. Your guitars are great...really like the blue-burst too.
Look forward to seeing your future projects.
Thanks everyone!

BLUEBURSTS......Hello?? Danny, DID YOU do ANY OF THE BLUEBURSTS in the MID '60s like maybe on any of the COMBOs??? I know, it was a little ways back, BUT YOU WOULD REMEMBER DOING ANY BLUEBURSTS....sorry, gotta know.... D t M.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed May 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Thank you for the compliment Strat-o.

Dennis, No blue burst for me back in the 60's. As a matter of fact I never saw one back then. All I ever did was spray sunbrurst and clear coats on candy apple blue and candy apple red. I never did any finsh work on the combos or any other model than the Ventures. Obviously there were many other colors but I only worked ther a very short time and only in the evenings and those three colors is all I remember that I actually had a hand with. Speaking of blue burst, here's a beautiful made in Japan Mosrite set neck, side jack copy.

Danny Ellison

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu May 08, 2008 3:17 am

The band that both my wife and I play in is called The Ridgeroad Ramblers. We have been playing in this band now for around 5 years and every year we keep getting more and more jobs. We do Classic Country music and Square dances if needed. We do some Classic rock but not much. If you check our web page you will see that my wife plays a 1935 Gibson that was her fathers. As far as getting old I for 1 don't plan to grow up until at least 2 weeks after I die. LOL

JIM

http://www.ridgeroadramblers.com
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu May 08, 2008 8:54 am

Nice stuff, guys.
Dennis, long time, no see. We've talked many times over the years. I can vouch to everyone that in reality you are not the dour faced guy in the picture.

Tommy W

Postby Tommy W » Thu May 08, 2008 11:47 am

I have a Hallmark Custom 60 in sunburst and love it ! It plays and sounds as good as any vintage Mosrite Ive played . Thanks to Bob Shade for making a classic looking and sounding guitar thats afordable.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu May 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Howdy Tommy,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post some photo's of your sunburst 60? I know they recently started painting them in s/b, but I've yet to see one.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”