Bob Shade 60 Custom

eltuce
Top Producer

Re: Bob Shade 60 Custom

Postby eltuce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:46 pm

It's a custom paint job using some sort of car paint. That guitar is way up there in my faves of the 30-ish guitars around here. Definitely in the top 10 of NEVER SELL!!! And that's the guitar talking, not just because of the custom job!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:58 am

eltuce wrote:That guitar is way up there in my faves of the 30-ish guitars around here.
Lov-el-ly!! Congtats man; enjoy it ;)

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:10 pm

Hello, yes we did this up for El Tuce in our custom paint shop! We can do the same for everyone on any guitar of ours for only $200.00 upcharge.

Bob Shade

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:59 am

Does that mean that "El Tuce" is painted on the fretboard rather than inlaid? Or are you referring to the 3-color burst finish? (Nicely done, by the way.) And it's cool to see both halves of the top with flame in the grain. The only Deke model I've had the chance to examine had flame only on half the top. It belonged to one of my students--he said it was from the first production run. Cool guitar.
While we're on the subject of finishes, and to get back to the subject of 60 Customs, did anyone see the New Year's Eve TV show with Rihanna? Her bass player had some sort of 5-string Jazz Bass clone in a blue sunburst that looks like what I'm hoping Bob Shade's new Surf Pearl will look like. Not much white in the center--the shading starts pretty quickly, and the dominant colors in the burst look like aqua and blue. Very nice. Bob--have you got your shipment of 60 Customs in yet? Any way you can post a pic of Surf Pearl? If that Surf Pearl looks as good as I'm hoping, I'll get that--otherwise, I really like the 3-color sunburst too.

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:11 am

Hey El Tuce, do you have any relation to El Duce of the Mentors?
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

TimR
Valued Member

Postby TimR » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:57 am

I think it must be painted on the fretboard rather than inlaid. It looks like they just left off the normal fretmarkers, and painted "El Tuce", as if you look close, you can see the individual letters go accross the frets. What's more, I don't see how he could have done all that inlay work for $200.00.

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:51 am

It's a custom paint job using some sort of car paint

It is paint, not inlaid. Still looks good. Wonder how it will hold up over years of playing?

Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:13 am

I saw Bob do that on a Wingbat guitar he customized for Larry Collins. It had "Wingwalker" painted on the fretboard in spooky dayglo orange lettering and looked quite impressive, especially on such a wonderfully shaped guitar.

I seem to recall that Bob coated the entire fretboard with some sort of coating so that I was reminded of a Rickenbacker fretboard, but he will have to say whether that is what he did. I have a terrible memory for such things.

I do recall it was a darn sharp-looking guitar, though. I took some photos that he may want to show.

Knowing Bob like I do, I'm sure he experimented with a way to keep the lettering from coming off in use.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

eltuce
Top Producer

Postby eltuce » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:15 pm

GTSP wrote:Hey El Tuce, do you have any relation to El Duce of the Mentors?

Nope, no relation but that's where I got it from. My last name is Tucciarone and I am often referred to as Tooch so it's a bit of a play off of the El Duce thing.

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:30 pm

eltuce wrote:
GTSP wrote:Hey El Tuce, do you have any relation to El Duce of the Mentors?

Nope, no relation but that's where I got it from. My last name is Tucciarone and I am often referred to as Tooch so it's a bit of a play off of the El Duce thing.

Holy smokes! I didn't expect you to know who the Mentors were let alone El Duce. That's so crazy. They were certainly 1 of a kind band. I hear they still play out live, even tho their singer is dead.
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”