Hallmark Owner's Corner!

Grizz

Re: Hallmark Owner's Corner!

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:25 am

Another proud new Hallmark 60C owner! :) Apols for the crappy pictures below btw!

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Bob Shade, an absolute gent to deal with. Quite honestly the best guitar I've owned in nearly 20 years of playing - My only regret is not pulling the trigger on one of these a lot sooner!! I play mostly punk rock in the same vein as Social Distortion / Hot Water Music and mostly use a Ventures II (Johnny Ramone) reissue which I think is a Kurokumo (?) that I bought from ZammInc in 2004. I wanted something that was more bespoke to me though and not just playing my hero's exact guitar - the Hallmark is a perfect fit!

The action, neck, balance, finish, shape and electrics are just superb. Loved the sound of the pups but wanted something that was more similar to my own sound so I'm about to try my faithful DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker in the bridge - Bob again was able to help me out with a new pickup cover so I'll be trying that out configuration very soon :)

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:17 am

Awesome dude. Hallmarks and Marshalls, that's how I do it too. :D

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:57 am

That sunburst looks great next to that rick!
I miss my Marshall. I had a JCM 2000 DSL 100.
I sold it for a Jet City, which is a Chinese Soldano.
The tone has great attack but I don't get the same feedback.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:16 am

Cheers fellas!

Yeah, it's a JCM2000 TSL I use - no pedals, I just use the OD from the 2nd channel and sounds amazing with both the Hallmark and the Ventures II, really meaty! To try get my own sound though, I'm going to try the DiMarzio SD humbucker in the bridge (with a little bit of tweaking) and if it doesn't work out I'll be after one of those FatPigs or one of the new Hallmark humbuckers I think :)

Actually just got another cab so I've a stack as mighty as yours now Greg :D The finish is amazing on your green Hallmark, I'd deffo consider a sparkle one next time!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:31 am

I had a Fat Pig in my 60C for a while. I think I had Fat Pig #1. I really liked it. It's noisy though if you're gonna be using a lot of gain. I keep it in the guitar case. It's gonna go back in one of these days.

I've since switched to a Seymour Duncan P-Rail because with this band I'm currently in I need a little more flexibility.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:59 am

Ah! I just noticed the P-Rail in your picture there Gregg, what kind of music are you playing now that made you switch to that kind of pickup?

Yeah, I tend to have a fairly high gain sound but is also fairly bottom-endy through the TSL - its only because of that I'm trying out the DiMarzio really to help it cut through a bit more. I have Hot Rail in the bridge position of the Ventures II reissue and it performs good through the amp so I actually considered a P-Rail in the Hallmark to keep things consistent :)

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:29 am

I play mostly, um, I guess you could call it NYC style proto/punk music. Ramones, Johnny Thunders, Dead Boys, Richard H.ell kind of stuff. Mix in some Stooges and NY Dolls. Original music in that general style. That's the band I'm in.

I also do my own little solo home recording projects and that stuff can range from surf-a-punk-a-billy to 80s-ish hardcore punk. Mostly I stick with a general Ramones kind of guitar sound. Not high gain, maybe just a bit hairier than "Crunch". I like AC/DC type tones, but played really fast. That's my tonal ballpark. My Les Paul and SG see some action too, but the 60 Custom is my favorite.

And I got a small army of classic and modern Marshalls and cabs. :D

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Nice collection. I have a Dimarzio Super 2 in my bridge.
Here's how it sounds. Speaking of Ramones......

http://kobanes.bandcamp.com/album/halfway-to-sanity

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:00 am

That's some collection Greg!! I really like the 800s, been thinking more & more recently about tracking one down or a 900.

Superb Marky - I had a listen through your releases on Bandcamp, The Kobanes are right up my street! Have you got the Super 2 covered or have you let the open coils showing? I've got a plain (ie no holes) Hallmark pickup cover coming from Bob for mine, just hoping it doesn't effect the tone too much having it covered :D

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks man! Open! ;)

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”