Hallmark Owner's Corner!

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Re: Hallmark Owner's Corner!

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:00 am

"My 1970 AMC Gremlin is cooler...."
It may be, but the Hallmark is easier to tune.
Don

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:44 am

LOSTVENTURE wrote:I was just watching some YouTube links over on the Tele forum, and I got thinking. We need to get one of these Customs into Jeff Beck's hands. Just a thought, but he is so expressive with a Strat that I would love to hear hin break loose with those powerfull "Mosrite-clones" that Mr. Shade builds.
Anybody got Jeff's cell number ?
Don

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 65rlmoARvQ
............................................. :mrgreen: .................................................
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:02 am

Well, from what I understand, Mr. Beck prefers a fat C-shaped neck and a floating trem that allows him to both pull and push the tremolo bar for desired effect.
For these reasons, I don't think a Mosrite or a clone would be his cup of tea.

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:39 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:Well, from what I understand, Mr. Beck prefers a fat C-shaped neck and a floating trem that allows him to both pull and push the tremolo bar for desired effect.
For these reasons, I don't think a Mosrite or a clone would be his cup of tea.

Oh yeah!?!? Well what the heck does he know about guitars?
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:05 am

OK, you both make good points, BUT, I'm thinking that if he hears the sound that that neck pick-up produces it could be the selling point. Just my opinion of course.
Don

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Another new Hallmark owner

Just received this past Friday. Now the only time I ever touched a Mosrite was years ago and that was a 12 string model (very nice by the way) and have seen but never played a Ventures model. There just ain't that many around these parts.

The guitar came in a very nice TKL case with usual case candy: allen wrenches, keys (does anyone every use those?), extra spring, pick and brochures.

Kind of perplexed that there was no "care and feeding of your new Hallmark" supplied. Would like to know about adjusting the bridge if I had to. The truss rod is adjusted at the body. The neck is smooth and pretty comfortable (a smooth "C" shape) and it's nice to have easy access to the upper frets.

This guitar played liked butter right out of the box. The action is LOW but not a lot of fret buzz. The guitar shipped with GHS 10's but I want to switch up to 10-52 gauge because I seem to like the sound of them on trem equipped guitars.

The guitar has a spank to it when played through the DRRI, and those P90's are HOT output wise so with your amp set right you can drive it to distort with the guitar alone. You only get three flavors: rear, front and rear, front. And there is only one volume and tone control. The trem is smooth and functions just like a Bigsby in that it utilizes a spring but the string are thread through the back of the bridge so its a somewhat straight shot from the trem block to the bridge. I have played it through both my pedal boards and into a Line 6 Tone Port. Again I have to say that the pick ups are HOT but that is an easy fix, just pull down the volume on the guitar. There must be a treble bleed on the tone knob becuase your tone doesn't change when you turn down. Sweet.

For $899 plus shipping it is a decent guitar and comes with a quality case and the workmanship is top notch. Could not find a fault with the finish or with playability.

I have noticed though that the G and B strings like to go out of tune, often. After I change strings I will see if this problem is just an isolated case of bad strings or maybe some light lubrication might be in order.

The playability of the neck is excellent. I have heard stories about the the original Mosrite frets were too low making it hard to do bends or slides. On the Hallmark they have fixed this so even with the action as low as it is I can do bends without fretting out.

I say again that the build quality is excellent. I was a little put off by not having to try it out first but after a few years of drooling and research and asking questions I do not regret getting this guitar so if any of you out there have been contemplating a purchase I can tell you the Bob Shade is easy to work with and you will get a quality instrument at a decent price. Or you could fork out close to $3k and over for the new Mosrites the Dana Moseley is selling.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Congratulations on your beautiful Hallmark 60 Custom.
Your positive review only confirms that I made the right choice buying one too ;)

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:43 pm

One of the best values in modern Guitars!!!! :D
Click on logo to visit website

juan_10
Valued Member

Postby juan_10 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Nice !! I would put it where you see it first thing when you wake up :-) .
New guitar day is nice .. now I hope you are one of the ones that uses guitar polish ... the more love
you put into it now, the more it will give you back later.
Yep , white and black is classy ... love the case too :-) jv

505lee

Postby 505lee » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi, everyone! I'm brand new to the forum. Just purchased a Hallmark 60 Custom to go along with my Gretsch 5122, Fender Highway One, 89 Epiphone Les Paul, Ibanez Acoustic-Electric, and another cheap Mosrite Clone that I have completely rebuilt. I am 60 years old and remember playing a couple of Mosrites in my youth and have had the Mosrite fever ever since. I must say that this Hallmark 60 Custom is the nicest guitar I have ever owned. It is even better than everyone says. Finish is flawless, action is low and fast, and I love the vintage frets. I really got my money's worth with this guitar. I bought the sunburst and it is the prettiest finish I have ever seen. I can't put it down and when I finally do I can't keep from staring at it.
Thank you Bob Shade for making these guitars and making them affordable.

505lee

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”