Hallmark Owner's Corner!

Maui

Re: Hallmark Owner's Corner!

Postby Maui » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:39 am

It is a 1958 Desoto Firedome. If I could have any car in the world it would be one of these......

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:48 am

Maui wrote:It is a 1958 Desoto Firedome. If I could have any car in the world it would be one of these......

Hey Maui..............I have been looking for a nice Dodge "Swept-Wing" convertable just like this one for a while now. I figure mabey since I own the Swep-Wing trademark for stringed instruments mabey it could be my business mobile and get a good write off. Ha!

That car is sweet! Nice guitar too if I do say so myself.

Bob

JohnChambers

Postby JohnChambers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 am

That's an amazing car (and +1 on the guitar and another +1 on the shirt)!. Now if Bob could make a Firedome Reissue for $899 (well, OK, maybe $8999)... :mrgreen:

No additional Firedome sightings to report, but my 60 Custom arrived last Friday, and I can't say enough good things about it. Never had a new guitar that played so well right out of the box (or alligator case). It's Pearl White and, as others here have said, the pictures don't do it justice. Black headstock (which I prefer, although I'm sure the matching headstock looks great too), so this might be one from the first batch. Setup was perfect; very low action, no buzzing, and the bridge / trem are smooth and solid. Usually, I need to work quite a bit with a new guitar setup, but in this case all I've done is lowered the bridge pickup (oh, and tuned the G and high E up a quarter step; the other strings were actually in tune when it arrived!). Sorry no pics yet -- still lookin' into them newfangled digital cameras. Pickups and electronics are great. Haven't found a bad sound combination yet (which I'm usually pretty good at). The bridge pickup with a little amp overdrive comes pretty close to that "Ventures Knock Me Out" lead sound, which I really like. Most of these things have been said already, but I wanted to add a big +1.

The posts in the 60 Custom thread here were a great help in the decision. Jim's (SleeperNY's) sound clips and the Kilauea's video were also really helpful. Thanks all, and thanks Bob!

Best,
John

Maui

Postby Maui » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:33 am

Bob Shade wrote:
Maui wrote:It is a 1958 Desoto Firedome. If I could have any car in the world it would be one of these......

Hey Maui..............I have been looking for a nice Dodge "Swept-Wing" convertable just like this one for a while now. I figure mabey since I own the Swep-Wing trademark for stringed instruments mabey it could be my business mobile and get a good write off. Ha!

That car is sweet! Nice guitar too if I do say so myself.

Bob

Hey Bob, Wouldn't that be a sweet deal, one of these big finned cars with the swept-wing guitars. Cars with big fins are the coolest era of cars I think. The bigger the better!
Did you see those other pictures I posted? It's on another thread where I was introducing myself. I think it is titled "NEW". There are some pictures of The AquaSonics playing this summer. Thanks for getting me involved with this forum. There are a lot of good people here!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:41 am

JohnChambers wrote:[size=85]That's an amazing car...//...Now if Bob could make a Firedome Reissue for $899 (well, OK, maybe $8999)... :mrgreen: ...//...The bridge pickup with a little amp overdrive comes pretty close to that "Ventures Knock Me Out" lead sound, which I really like.
I know Bob has friendly price tags but that reissue Firedome Reissue would have to be closer to $ 89,999.-- in this day and age I reckon :D

Oh, and I really dig what you said about the Hallmark bridge pickup! Cool...;)

JohnChambers

Postby JohnChambers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Veenture wrote:I know Bob has friendly price tags but that reissue Firedome Reissue would have to be closer to $ 89,999.-- in this day and age I reckon :D

Oh, and I really dig what you said about the Hallmark bridge pickup! Cool...;)

Yeah, I'm afraid the affordable Firedome Reissue was just wishful thinking, but it sure would be a great Hallmark "accessory". :P

Veenture, I really like the avatar, although there are some aspects of the original album cover I like even better :mrgreen: . That's my favorite Ventures album: Tomorrow's Love, Gone Gone Gone, and (of course) Slaughter on 10th Ave have been favorites for about 45 years. That lead sound has always been kind of hard to replicate (a Red Rhoades fuzz box might help?), but the 60 Custom gets me much closer right off the bat than the Gretsch Nashville, Strat, or Jazzmaster.

Best,
John

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:00 pm

JohnChambers wrote:That's my favorite Ventures album [edit: "The Ventures Knock Me Out"]: Tomorrow's Love, Gone Gone Gone, and (of course) Slaughter on 10th Ave have been favorites for about 45 years. That lead sound has always been kind of hard to replicate (a Red Rhoades fuzz box might help?)
Hey John, you might want to check out my post on the Ventures' Mosrite sound... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1801 ...and yes, I agree with you, the original cover of said album with that typically attractive 'Ventures blonde' is way better than my avatar (perhaps I need to change it back...) :?

Diggey

Postby Diggey » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:50 pm

dude, I'm going to need a towel to wipe up with. Thats Rad :lol:

JohnChambers

Postby JohnChambers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Veenture wrote:Hey John, you might want to check out my post on the Ventures' Mosrite sound... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1801

Hey, thanks, that's a great thread. Don't know how I missed that, but I obviously have a lot of catching up to do on this forum. It explains why I'm getting pretty close with the 60 Custom plus a little amp overdrive. Maybe it would sound even better if I could play like Nokie. :P

Best,
John

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 pm

Diggey wrote:dude, I'm going to need a towel to wipe up with. Thats Rad :lol:
Hey Diggey, how yer doin' man, is there yet a second Hallmark that has entered into your life? I'm still enjoying my Sunburst H60C every day ;)
JohnChambers wrote:I obviously have a lot of catching up to do on this forum.
John, you're not the only one...there's still lots of interesting stuff for me to open up and read... :o

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”