Re: Hallmark Owner's Corner!

Postby GattonFan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:19 am

Beautiful! Congrats on the buy.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

erksin

Postby erksin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Been awhile - still loving this thing! It really does nail the early Neil Young/Crazy Horse Gretschy type stuff for me. Great playing feel, and stays in tune like a champ too. Really happy with it.

www.catalinbread.com
erksin@catalinbread.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Very nice! What is that fender part doing on the Princeton amp?

erksin

Postby erksin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Veenture wrote:Very nice! What is that fender part doing on the Princeton amp?

It's a '65 6G15 Reverb Unit (Dick Dale, Neil Young, Brian Setzer, etc) - love that thing. :ugeek:
www.catalinbread.com
erksin@catalinbread.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 am

Very cool setup. I like that you have your amp distanced from the floor, improving audio response, most notably the bass frequencies. Your Hallmark is in good company (and vica versa) ;)

erksin

Postby erksin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:41 am

Veenture wrote:Very cool setup. I like that you have your amp distanced from the floor, improving audio response, most notably the bass frequencies. Your Hallmark is in good company (and vica versa) ;)

Thanks!

I've been doing that for quite a long time now - putting combo amps on stands of some sort. I read a Guitar Player magazine article with Joe Walsh back in the late '80s/early '90s and he was talking about how he always gets his combos up off the floor when recording to decouple the the cab from the floor - that way it can resonate and breathe a little more and the bass is easier to control. I think it makes a noticeable difference.
www.catalinbread.com
erksin@catalinbread.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:28 pm

erksin wrote:I read a Guitar Player magazine article with Joe Walsh back in the late '80s/early '90s and he was talking about how he always gets his combos up off the floor when recording to decouple the the cab from the floor - that way it can resonate and breathe a little more and the bass is easier to control. I think it makes a noticeable difference.
Agreed. I have always done the same thing with the speakers of my HiFi Stereo set(s) :)

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am

I've had my Custom 60 Sunset sparkle for a year now, and what a year's it's been! I love it, I've had it in a slightly different setups, and got to know it. It has also motivated me to learn some Ventures tunes that I'd dismiss as too hard, but I've been playing probably more than my Les Paul or Jaguar and find it very versatile. As always, anytime I had a problem with my setup or something Bob was always quick to offer some helpful advice, so it makes it a really nice overall experience.

Initially I was going to see if it fits and then think of getting a Mosrite, but I've decided to keep this guitar, and don't see myself selling it to fund a mosrite soon.

The setup on the guitar was great out of the box but I like to tinker, so I put on some 9's which I never played before, and found it good, I've messed a little with the relief, but like it as it originally was, I had it straight but there was some buzzing so now it plays better with some relief. I was surprised to find I could lower the action on this guitar as far as it would go and with a light touch it still played, so now I always lower the bridge as far as it goes and then raise it a couple of turns on each size and plays great!

My action is just over 1mm on the low e :)

the Hallmark C60 with Ventures model decal

the Gang

and the guitar that started it all and led me here

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Awesome stuff Hydra. :D

marswillrule

Postby marswillrule » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Here are my 2.

Started with the 60s Custom. Loved it and had to go for the II. Now I've got my Johnny and Fred guitars (see my introduction post).

The II is slightly custom. I asked about getting a II with a hard tail but Bob suggested I keep the vibrato option and he'd set it up with hard tail. It worked out great and I'm happy I have the option of putting the arm back on if needed. When placing the order I asked about the humbuckers, but they were out of stock. In Bob's opinion the singles sound better anyway and he gave me the option of making the middle position humbucking. I went with this option and am happy with it so far. And as you can see I requested a black pickgaurd rather than the stock one. Now I just need to get a black one for the 60s custom. (hint to Bob to keep me posted ;) )

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”