Champion 600 conversion to Champ 5F1

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: Champion 600 conversion to Champ 5F1

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Can you measure the ac voltage to ground on each side of the filament wires?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:12 pm

All filament pins are reading 1.1 and 1.2 to ground. While the amp was turned on doing these test it got really loud with popping sounds then it went silent. Upon checking B+ voltage it jumped up to 406 from earlier 330 on the main filter cap, 382 from 235 on the second, and 328 from 204 on the third. Voltage from pin 8 on the 6V6 to 25uf 25v cap jumpered with the 470 5 watt resistor dropped to zero, before it was 27.3. I do not see any signs of physical damage to any component unless maybe the output transformer fried.
Danny Ellison

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 pm

I can't see why the voltages would change like that unless the 6V6 tube has stopped working. The tube could be bad or it is because the filament voltage is too low and the tube isn't heating up enough.

Pull out both of the tubes and read the dc voltages at the filter caps. Also see what happens to the ac voltages at the filaments.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Good news. The pilot light and the fuse are OK. Bad news, it took out the "power" transformer. This project is done.
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:11 pm

I put this project aside for a while and after replacing both power and output transformers, punching a whole to add a 5Y3 rectifier tube. it is now working like a Champ. It is extremely ballsy compared to it's stock Champion 600 configuration. This has really been a frustrating project because of the problems I had with the diode rectifier in the beginning.

Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Looks great! Congratulations on getting this done. Is there anything left of the original amp besides the chassis? :)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Looks great! Congratulations on getting this done. Is there anything left of the original amp besides the chassis? :)

No! Just the chassis, cabinet and A/C cord. :lol:
Danny Ellison

Garry22

Postby Garry22 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:08 pm

dubtrub wrote:Haven't done any electronic projects since the 6G6 Bassman build. It's that time of year where I sit around and vegetate so I decide to do a conversion on a little Champion 600 I bought when they first came out a few years ago. It has always hummed about as loud as the maximum volume on the guitar so it never got used. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on magnetics and wanted to use what I already had on hand. Problem was, all conversion I've seen are done by changing out the magnetics and using a tube rectifier. No schematics or layout diagrams for what I wanted so I set about to design my own diode rectifier layout by searching the internet. Here's where I am at at this point of the project. My problem now is, I have found two different sources on wiring the AC power to switch and fuse. The old Fender layouts show AC going directly to the switch and then to the fuse, others show it going to the fuse first then to the switch. Hopefully someone here can provide the correct answer for safety. These drawings are done by me as an example.

Fabricating the circuit board out of left over Bakelite material fron another project. Will be drilling and installing eyelets

Do ypu have, circuit maker for student

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”