Showman speaker question

surfing-matze

Showman speaker question

Postby surfing-matze » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:05 am

Hello to all showman players around,

I recently purchased a nearly mint 65 showman with nice 115 tone ring cabinet (with a reconed JBL D130f). Unfortunatelly the previous owner had done some bad mods (distortion and push pull poti for bright etc.). I will have the circuit done by a technican and I guess it will sound great again after that.

Can anyone of you tell me about the old Electro Voice Speakers, which are also used with showmans (what's the correct model and how do they sound compared to the JBL's) ? I'd be very interested in trying and comparing to the JBL's.

Zak wrote some interesting things bout speaker efficiency in the Reverbojet-thread. What could be a speaker with higher Efficiency than the JBL's - but which also have the great sound, we want for surf ? maybe some of the Weber speakers or are the EV's more efficient ?

a lot of questions ;) - some speaker advice would be highly appriciated :)

reverbed Twangs
Matze

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Showman speaker question

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:46 am

Matze,
Congratulations on the Showman. I use a single JBL tone ring cabinet with mine, but I've also used it with a 2x15 Weber neo cabinet. The Webers are impressive speakers, reasonably prices and lighter than JBLs!
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

surfing-matze

Postby surfing-matze » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:30 am

Hello Mel,

thanks - I guess I was really lucky with this nice showman, but will know for sure after the circuit-check. I am also playin the JBL 15 tone ring cabinet. Since I red bout the Electro voice in another forum (can't remember where it was and can't find it anymore) I'm curious how I would like it.

Weber speakers also seem to be highly recommended - but you don't get these here (you have to pay a lot of taxes + customs, if you order directly).

I would like to find an old EV in ebay Germany, so it would be affordable - BUT: I don't know the exact name of the model. JBL's go for 150 € there...

twangtwang
matze

zak

Postby zak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:24 pm

The EVs are WAY more efficient. They are also extremely heavy, be prepared to build some back muscles lifting your cab!

I am not a fan of JBLs or their Weber knockoffs. They're great if your ONLY tone is clean or clean w/ reverb, but they do NOT handle fuzz very well. I find 12s work better than 15s for fuzz, and have a more "focused" sound in general that doesn't throw your highs straight forward and splatter your lows off to the sides as much.

In my band, the other guitar player and bass player were both using Weber JBL style speakers last year. They've both since retired them and are currently using Eminence stuff, with noticeably better results. In all fairness, the Weber Neo bass speakers sound pretty good, but I am not sold on their California series guitar speakers at all.

surfing-matze

Postby surfing-matze » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:09 am

thank you Zak.

At the moment I'm fine with the clean surf sound. We don't use fuzz these days. Ralf has one of these Fuzzrites. The problem with fuzz is always - how can you get a good sound and at the same time cut through the mix.

My feeling was every time, we tried that the guitar is no more there. D'you have an idea, what we maybe did wrong ?

Maybe I will try the EV's one day - nice to hear that they are efficient speakers - in another forum someone wrote, he prefers them over the JBLs. But I've just decided to invest in some new PUPs for my Fenders (Novaks) and so I'll shift the speaker project.

hmmm... Zak do you or anyone else know the exact model name of the EV's ? I still don't know how to find them, in case they appear on ebay...

with kindest showman growls
Matze

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”