6G6-B Bassman clone project

dubtrub
Administrator

6G6-B Bassman clone project

Postby dubtrub » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Mr. Bill, I need help!

I've purchased some parts from Gomez Amplification going out of business sale and decided to scratch build a Bassman 6G6-B clone. I cannot find any layout drawings for the filter capacitor board and am trying to draw my own modifying a partial drawing found in Google from another forum. I'd like for any of you amp guru's to take a look at the drawing, schematic and layout links and tell me if my drawing is on the right track. It's not a proper over view drawing but only a guidline. I'll probably have several question as I proceed through this project so please bear with me. I tried to find schematics that were small enough to download to the forum for easier comparison but no dice. BTW, all caps are facing positive as seen in multiple photo's. I just don't know what the bottom side of the filter cap board should look like.

:arrow: http://ampwares.com/schematics/bassman_6G6-B.pdf

Edited: See finished product here on :arrow: page 11

Edited, 5-20-12: Here's the finished product.

Danny Ellison

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: 6G6-B clone project Question

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:02 pm

From what I can see in the schematic, there is no problem with the layout of the cap board.

I can only assume that the schematic is correct, but I will look at the Fender disk on Monday to see if I can find anything else.

The dotted lines on the drawing represent the wire connections that are on the under side of the board.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks Mr. Bill!

I love doing this stuff especially the researching of schematics and layout to building the completed project. I did this with my 6G15 Reverb tank that I build about three years ago. It has really had a workout this past year and a half with the Tsunami Surfers and hasn't missed a beat yet. :lol: Same with my 5E3 tweed Deluxe clone, however that was a Weber kit and my first build. The 5F1 Champ clone I built last year was no challenge so I thought a scratch built Bassman would keep me busy for a while.

Here's what I'm hoping to end up with. I don't have face or rear plates and Fender plates won't lineup. I will try and find someone who can do the graphics for me and have it printed locally. Hint, hint! So if any of you forum members can help me out with a faceplate I'll be forever grateful.

Regarding the faceplate, this is the look I'm hoping for. http://www.luxetoneamps.com/pdf/Blondie-B.pdf

Here's what I have accumulated so far, well, actually I have a lot more hardware but they will be for the cabinet, so there's no need to show them until I get to that stage of the project. The circuit board material is left over bakelite from my Blackguard Tele project that still needs finishing. The tape on the chassis are tags identifying each hole top and bottom. That was necessary to determine the size and location of the three different boards.

Danny Ellison

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Looks great so far, Danny. Reminds me of when my dad helped me build my first Heathkit solid state combo guitar amp.
I haven't reached the expertise to attempt a scratch build like you...yet.
It looks like a lot of fun, actually! :D

-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Hey, Danny!

That is so cool! I hope you'll do a step-by-step sequence for us here!!!

I made a faceplate for the Peavey amp re-cabineting job a friend and I did a couple of years ago. I didn't try to make it look much like the original faceplate, as I think Peavey has ugly graphics on a lot of their stuff.

I had the faceplate printed on the back side of a 1/8" Plexiglas sheet and it looks great. It's held on by the pot washers.

Take care--

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Danny, the photo that you posted looks just like my amp, well maybe a little nicer than my amp. If you need it, I can scan the faceplate for you. I also probably still have some of the wheat with gold grill cloth that this model used. I don't think that it is still available.

I didn't realize from the model number which version you were planning on building. Let me know if there's anything you need to know about the original version.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Bill, sorry I must have been posting the same time as you. Man that'll be great that you have the same amp. So far I think I'm pretty much on track electronically until I run into a blip. I was really concerned about the high voltage caps not knowing the actual layout on the bottom side. I've looked at dozens of topside photos but nothing depicting the side I need. I keep studying the schematics tracing each wire but I'm still learning to read them and just wasn't sure. For the price of electrolytics, I don't want to go blowing anything up. I'm going to dig out my Sharpie's and modify the layout drawing of the entire amp to depict various colors of the modern made transformers and three prong cord etc, as well as draw the layout of the power section, which doesn't seem to exist on the internet.
Danny Ellison

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Hey, Danny--

I'll be more than happy to do the plate graphics for you. It'll be fun!

Let me look at that site and then I'll be back with some questions. First, though, do you want to have the faceplate silkscreened onto metal or on Plexiglas?

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Hey, Danny--

Here's the logo and face plates I did on Plexi for that Peavey amp. As the photo shows, my friend's Tolex job is coming unstuck in several places, but what the heck!

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac26 ... /photo.jpg

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Jim, that looks good. Silk screen would no doubt be a first choice but that's an area where I'm totally lost. If you have a connection that would be great. Regarding measurements and logo I'll get with you by pm or email.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”