Ampeg Reverbojet amp

dubtrub
Administrator

Ampeg Reverbojet amp

Postby dubtrub » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:26 pm

I got one of these in my possession today in need of some minor electrical and some major cosmetic work. :arrow: Ampeg Reverbojet

It was DOA but after a thorough examination, a few voltage checks and complete cleaning of all potentiometers and tube sockets, this thing lives. I've played on it for a couple of hours and it sounds pretty decent.

It's not my amp, it belongs to my cousin that was playing the keyboard on the video I posted in another forum. He had it in storage for many years and it had gotten damp. He thought it was a goner for sure. Over the years someone (maybe him) had stripped the tolex of leaving bare wood. Everything is rusty, rotten and stinking. But you know me, I love a challenge. So, now that it is alive, I'm going to polish out of the metal and recover the cabinet in black tolex. I've already removed the metal corners. I have an extra set of chrome handle brackets for a Fender that should work just fine. Also, I just grabbed a correct volume knob off eBay.

Any of you have any experience with Ampeg amps?

ImageImage
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Ampeg Reverbojet amp

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:24 pm

It lives!

I've owned several Ampeg amps, mainly 60s models - a 62 Reverborocket, a 66 Reverberocket, a 70s V-4 and currently a 66 Gemini I. The V-4 had very different circuitry and tone than the others, and I'm not sure where your reverbojet fits in. The 60s models have very deep reverb and tremolo.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:47 pm

MWaldorf wrote:It lives!

I've owned several Ampeg amps, mainly 60s models - a 62 Reverborocket, a 66 Reverberocket, a 70s V-4 and currently a 66 Gemini I. The V-4 had very different circuitry and tone than the others, and I'm not sure where your reverbojet fits in. The 60s models have very deep reverb and tremolo.

Owie Zowie!! Ouch!! My Aching Back!! As much as I loved my V-4 (had the Full Stack), I sure as heck DO NOT miss
carrying and loading that Eiffel Tower when the Gig was done! But man, that was the warmest sweetest on board
Reverb that I ever heard without having to go to a Tank. I liked the Reverb a lot better in my V-4 than in my late
60's Twin. But I got rid of both of them, due to the weight factor. They both got outdated with me due to the
Music Format that I have been playing for many years now (60's- 80's). BUT, that doesn't mean that I don't miss
that sound..... :roll:

BTW Danny, are you doing the Ampeg in Black Tolex, or the infamous Ampeg Blue??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:44 pm

The '66 Reverberocket II was my first tube amp. I got it for $175 in 1990. It sounded incredible, but at 22W it wasn't loud enough, so I got the V-4 thinking it would be a louder version of the Reverborocket, which it was not. A fine amp (and heavy!) with a switchable midrange band like on a mixing board. Really hi-fi sounding. I eventually used the Reverborocket as a preamp for the V-4 until I got a Fender Super and sold the V-4. I kept the Reverborocket for years, even after I got my Showman, but eventually sold it and quickly regretted it. Later I found the 62 Reverborocket, which I never got attached to as I couldn't relate to the single tone control (vs treble/bass controls. still don't know what to do with a mid control). I was lucky enough to find a guy locally with a '66 Gemini I who really wanted a Reverborocket and we traded.

FYI, here's how to shlep a twin - make it a piggy back!

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:BTW Danny, are you doing the Ampeg in Black Tolex, or the infamous Ampeg Blue??

Well, now that you mentioned it, I just finished it today. :lol:

ImageImage

I didn't have to recover the back panels.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:27 pm

Why do I get the feeling that your cousin is "going to need it" real soon? LOL! :mrgreen:
p.s. That came out REALLY NICE!! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”