Delta Blues amp

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Re: Delta Blues amp

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:12 am

I just talked to Voodoo Amps and I am going to take it to them to make sure it is going to hold up. It has a bad power tube (The old pencil tap) and I want to make sure that there isn't more wrong. I think there is and I don't to burn another power tube as fast as I put it in.
Voodoo Amps make and repair amps for some big name players and they are only 10 or 12 miles from me.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:43 am

First off, sorry that I didn't respond sooner, but there hasn't been much activity in this section lately.

The black "cap" is really an inrush limiter, that reduces the initial current draw when the amp is first turned on. It looks just like a ceramic disk cap, but is black or sometimes blue in color. So don't worry, that is not the source of the burning smell.

More likely, as you have noted, one of the power tubes has developed an intermittent short between two internal elements. The two parts will sometimes touch each other, depending upon how hot they are or how much vibration that they are exposed to. This can cause any number of things to overheat and if the short continues for a long enough period of time, other parts can become damaged.

A very common problem on that series of Peavey amps is for a power tube to draw too much current and the power supply for the screen grid is stressed to the point that the supply resistor overheats and starts to burn. Well really it just gets so hot that it starts to smell and sometimes smoke as the stuff on it starts to smolder. If the resistor has really been stressed, it will either increase in value or it will go open circuit.

The tech will be able to check for overheated parts and get you back up and running without any problems. It sounds like you shut it down before any real damage was done.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks Bill, I was sure that it needed to be looked at before it was used again. I was hoping that I could see something burned but I didn't. The black part just didn't smell like it had burnt.
I am sure that Voodoo will get it working great as long as it doesn't cost to much. They wanted me to give them a cap on the cost and I just told them to call me with an estimate if it needed more than tubes. I don't like giving an open ended price to anyone. I am not paying big money on a $650.00 amp. LOL

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:32 am

Well, are you ready for the good and the bad?
I got the amp back on Thursday and was happy to hear that I hadn't burned up anything. Just needed new power tubes. I get it home and put it back together and it fired up and everything was looking good. Now I don't use a lot of reverb from the amp so it was turned off. I turned it up and all I got was a hum that got louder the higher I turned it up, but the reverb was not working. In just a few minutes I heard a few pooping sounds from the amp and the reverb hum went away only to be replaced with another hum sounding lower pitched and constant in volume. Then I checked the tubes to see the V7 power tube starting to red plate.I turned it off and called the shop.It was going to start all over in cost even though I had just paid them $90.00. Not wanting to pay anything more in the way of just checking it out I had a good conversation with the teck and he agreed to check it out at no cost. I took the amp back and then was looking at the Peavey sight and read that if I had registered it on line that it was covered for 2 years and not 1. I have had the amp a year and a half so I called Peavey customer service to confirm that I had registered it and was told that it was covered for 5 years to the original owner. Long story shortened a bit, it is now at a Peavey warranty repair shop. We will see what happens from here.

I don't think that the first shop I took it to did anything wrong and do believe that they just checked voltages and all looked good so they didn't let it run as long as it took for whatever it was to fail.

Jim

PS: The good is that I don't have to pay anything more.
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:44 am

Yay! I hope it gets all fixed for you.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:50 am

Ah! The long-forgotten joys of owning tube type amps...

My old Jazz Chorus just keeps on truckin' :D My new Tech 21 1x12 promises to step in nicely for the smaller gigs, and the Roland Cube 80xl awaits me in my winter home... Yuma here we come, departing snow-land on 1 November. Y-A-Y-Y-Y!
Olrocknroller

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:15 pm

olrocknroller wrote:Ah! The long-forgotten joys of owning tube type amps...

My old Jazz Chorus just keeps on truckin' :D My new Tech 21 1x12 promises to step in nicely for the smaller gigs, and the Roland Cube 80xl awaits me in my winter home... Yuma here we come, departing snow-land on 1 November. Y-A-Y-Y-Y!

Which JC do you have? I've been gassin' for a JC-77 for a long time but wonder if I should just get the 120. :)
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Sarah93003 wrote:
olrocknroller wrote:Ah! The long-forgotten joys of owning tube type amps...

Which JC do you have? I've been gassin' for a JC-77 for a long time but wonder if I should just get the 120. :)

I have the 120, and still lift weights for a week before I take it out to a gig... :P Good thing it's on wheels...they see a fair bit of mileage!
Olrocknroller

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:43 am

I have been using a Fender Stage 160 the last 2 weeks. This is the model that was out before all the effects were added. It is a solid state amp and sounds good at home but it just isn't the same as tubes. There is a fine line between the sound I want and what I am getting from it. The highs are just a bit to harsh when you get the bass where you want it but after taming the highs the lows are just .........well not what I want. It seams to just wash out to much for my taste and I do like more bass than most people but it has to have a bit of twang so to speak also. I could just take my Twin Custom 15 but my back just can't handle it anymore, if it could I would have never bought the Peavey in the first place. I am also not ready to leave tubes behind, I just like the sound just a bit better. Maybe when I get old I will. LOL

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:10 am

I'm with you on that Jim. I've tried solid state and it just doesn't do it for me. When our band records I use an amp modeler to innerface with the mixer panel. While the edited recordings sound good it's just not the same. Plus tube amps are easier and simpler to work on. At least that's my opinion. I've known plenty musicians using SS amps and are perfectly happy with them.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”