Fender Champ Mod

telecastermaster

Fender Champ Mod

Postby telecastermaster » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am

I have an old 80's Fender Champ that I was considering converting to a '63 Reverb style unit. Anyone here done this? I was thinking this chassis would be great because it has all the right holes drilled (3 knobs, in/out puts, etc.).

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: Fender Champ Mod

Postby Mr. Bill » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Interesting idea. A couple of thoughts, does the Champ have one or two preamp tubes? And is the case wide enough to fit a reverb tank inside?

telecastermaster

Postby telecastermaster » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

I haven't checked the size of the cab yet to check, but based on looks it appears that it would hold a tank. The champ has 1 12ax7 and then a two other larger tubes (I can't remember their numbers offhand). I'm assuming it would be easy to drill another hole for another preamp tube.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Why would you do this? You'd be far better off selling the Champ and buying a Reverb. When possible it's far better not to make permanent modifications to vintage gear.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm in the process of building 2 correct, hand wired 6g15 reverb units, sprague caps, metal film resistors(quieter) and properly cloned transformers on a Mojo chassis and one of my finger jointed cabs in your choice of covering. PM me if interested.

Your champ probably has a rectifier tube in it and, the voltages aren't correct for a reverb unit, although you could change the PT. Also, a proper large tank needs a 17" wide(I think) cab. You'll also need 2 9 pin sockets, rewire the whole circuit, etc. You'll also need the correct choke and output transformer. But it could be done.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

telecastermaster

Postby telecastermaster » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:51 pm

I never considered selling the Champ, I didn't think I could get a decent $ that would be worth selling it for. It's a fun little amp, and I was planning on taking the board out and leaving that stuff in place, mostly using the chassis.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:53 pm

Check eBay and see what Champs are selling for. ;)
Danny Ellison

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”