HELP: Chorus Pedal Hum?

vjf1968
Top Producer

Re: HELP: Chorus Pedal Hum?

Postby vjf1968 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:33 pm

JimPage wrote:Hey--

To answer my own question regarding how to eliminate hum, at least in the situation with which I was faced, is this:
http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/pr ... wer_supply

The Visual Sound 1 Spot power supply is what I ordered new in the box from an eBay vendor for $22, including shipping, in hopes it would silence the severe hum my Biyang Chorus Pedal was introducing into my pedal board, as described in my original post.

There were pedalboard power supplies costing over $200 that I was considering, but, being a cheap fellow, I decided to try the 1 Spot first. I am so happy that I did, because it totally eliminated any unwanted noise, at least in the band practice situation where I tested it last night. The pedalboard hum was absolutely gone and all five pedals worked and sounded great.

This, of course, doesn't mean that it will work this well in all situations, but I was astonished at how well it worked in this one.

--Jim

For the number and type of pedals you are running, the OneSpot is the perfect solution for the money. The only drawback to the OneSpot is anything using a DSP like a digital delay, sampler/looper, or any other pedal that needs the constant voltage to operate. Then you are going to see the drawbacks to the OneSpot. If you ever find yourself getting more pedals then in the end you are better served in getting a deccated power supply with isolated inputs.

JimPage
Top Producer

Re: HELP: Chorus Pedal Hum?

Postby JimPage » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Good info, Vincent; thanks!!! I am going to try to keep this pedalboard to the five pedals, or four effects pedals and a tuner.

It should do for what I play, which is classic country/classic rock rhythm guitar. I do confess that I am intrigued by fuzz and octavia pedals, but they seem to be more for the lead guitarists.

I just play little lead fills for the most part instead of full-blown solos.

Thanks to everyone for their guidance; there are some wickedly smart people on this forum!!!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”