Reverb Tank: Project

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Re: Reverb tank project

Postby KRamone27 » Mon May 19, 2008 5:03 pm

dubtrub wrote:I haven't quite decided whether to go with tweed to accent my tweed Deluxe, black to go with my '65 Bandmaster, or brown to go with my '63 reissue Vibroverb. I like them all. Suggestions are welcome, but you have to give a reason why.
Why don't you have a black tolex cabinet with a tweed grill that way at least you have two bases covered. Kevin

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 pm

KRamone27 wrote: Why don't you have a black tolex cabinet with a tweed grill that way at least you have two bases covered. Kevin

Now that would be an interesting concept. It'd probably look pretty good. I'll have to think about that one.

Don, I tried the 6V6 and it seem to eliminate the hum at lower volumes, however, it makes the units much more control sensitive. I had to roll the mixer control back as it was giving too much saturated reverb. Probably some of the hard core 'heavy on the reverb' enthusiast would really like it. I think I'll keep the 6V6 as that is what the schematics actually calls for. No doubt the voltage difference on the 6K6 is why I had so much hum. However, when I turn the amp to full volume a slight hum is still there until I connect the two prong plug.

Another thing that I have noticed before changing to the 6V6 was the location of the reverb unit in relation to the amplifier. I can now move the reverb around and the hum has greatly been reduced without the use of a two prong plug. It's was sort of like when you get to close to the front of an amp with a guitar that has single coil pickup's. When you back away, the hum diminishes greatly. I'm guessing it's the magnetic field generated by the transformers between the amplifier and reverb that created some of the hum. I'd definitely recommend giving the 6V6 a try.

I will continue my efforts to totally elimate the hum at the highest volume, then I will be satisfied.
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri May 23, 2008 11:10 am

Well, I finished up this project last night. I'm not real happy with the corners on my covering job. I bought the tolex off some guy on eBay, and it looked pretty good on the roll, however it has a tendency to stretch while covering. This is great until it settles over night and gaps open up as the tolex shrinks back to normal. Never fear though, I have a multitude of 'Toll painting' latex vinyl paints, so it was just a matter of mixing the right colors and blending it into the corner seems. Still aggravates me that it looks like crap and didn't come out the way it should. Oh Well! :evil:

Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri May 23, 2008 11:52 am

:roll: ....Sigh..... If you are referring to the upper right hand corner....YOU BETTER QUIT BEING SO "PICKY." LOL!
Danny, I've seen Tolex corners on some of the amps that are on the market nowadays, and THEY ARE SLOPPY!!
And I also think that some of the ones that turn out sloppy from the manufactureres is probably why they just
use "amp corners" on them, whether they be metal or those cheap plastic ones.... ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Ahh don't be so modest, it looks great. If nothing else you could throm some chrome corners to cover them.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri May 23, 2008 12:33 pm

....p.s. Where's the Badge (Logo)? You know, the one that says "the DubVerb Special." :mrgreen:

Don

Postby Don » Fri May 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Looks killer to me, Danny. Nice job!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri May 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your nice compliments. I just finished giving the corners another treatment of the magic 'tolex paint' and it has filled in the gap pretty well so now I can live with it. :roll:

Don, I thought I had the hum completely eliminated but apparently it isn't meant to be. I have tried but cannot get it to go completely away. What is really frustrating is at times it's almost totally quiet, then next time I turn it on I hear that faint annoying/irritating 60 cycle hum. I slap the mat. I'll just keep using the two prong plug.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

dubtrub wrote:Thanks everyone for your nice compliments. I just finished giving the corners another treatment of the magic 'tolex paint' and it has filled in the gap pretty well so now I can live with it. :roll:

Don, I thought I had the hum completely eliminated but apparently it isn't meant to be. I have tried but cannot get it to go completely away. What is really frustrating is at times it's almost totally quiet, then next time I turn it on I hear that faint annoying/irritating 60 cycle hum. I slap the mat. I'll just keep using the two prong plug.

Danny

Don and Dan,
Question for both of you referring to the 60 cycle "you know what." Are you by chance close to the speaker(s) when you have the reverb on? You said one time when it was on, it was OK, but then another time, the hum was back....I know you guys know what to check for, but I have sometimes caught myself 'overlooking' the simple things. :oops:
Playing a guitar w/single coil p'ups near a speaker(s) with possibly the windings on the magnet of the speaker(s), going the opposite direction, in a closed (or small) room, might "entertain" to the problem. But again, I'm taking guesses at what each one of your situations might be.......oh boy, you now have entered: "Process of Elimination"..... :roll:

Don

Postby Don » Thu May 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Mine doesn't seem to change with position relative to the amp or anything else. The hum is the same without a guitar plugged in and no matter how I set the controls.

I've got a few ideas to investigate and will let you all know if I hit on a solution. The project has been delayed slightly by another repair project...the tube radio out of my father-in-law's '60 Ford. You know, I'm an expert now that I "built an amp-thing for my guitar". :roll:

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”