Fuzzrite help needed

E9th

Fuzzrite help needed

Postby E9th » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 am

Hello everyone,

I have a fuzzrite pedal, that is disassembled and missing a few parts. From my research it appears to be the silicon trannied verison with the masking tape covering the board. The guy who gave it to me said he had regretfully gutted the effect and used the box as an A/B switcher n the 70's and these were the remaining parts he could find.

As you can see, I need the pots (where on earth can I find split shaft 350K and 33K pots??), the footwitch and jacks, battery clip, and battery cover.
I was hoping someone here could tell me what the value and style of the capacitor attached to the footswitch is? that little orange guy in this photo.

Thanks in advance for the help, I am sure I will have more questions as I procede. This thing must live again!! I LOVE FUZZ!!

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Fuzzrite help needed

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm not very technical when it comes to electronics, but perhaps if you scroll down this page the schematics here will help you:

http://www.mosritecelebrity.com/page31.html
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Use a 500K for the fuzz depth control and a 50K for the volume control. The 50K value is common with EMG pickups, and should be available with a split shaft from any EMG dealer. Gibson used the 350K value for their tone controls for a long time. Try checking with a few vintage dealers for sources of these pots.

The cap on the switch is a 4.7uF tantalum cap rated for at least 16v. The switching circuit is oddly wired, as it turns off the battery power to the circuit as well as routing the input signal to the output jack.

Hope this helps.

E9th

Postby E9th » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks Mr. Bill, thats DOES help immensely!

Good to know about the switch wiring for sure!

E9th

Postby E9th » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:13 pm

NOS 350K split shaft pots from clarostat avialable here for future reference:
http://angela.com/index.aspx

a couple things came up (rams head big muff andunivox superfuzz :) so i haven tbeen able to get to this project yet, just now ordering the parts.
maybe that link will be helpful to someone else in the future.

edit: now when I click on that link the 350K is gone, and googling it say out of stock. I must have bought the last one in stock ...sorry, maybe they will restock? :oops:

E9th

Postby E9th » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:56 am

pot arrived today and looks NOTHING like the picture on their website :evil:
The shaft is completely wrong and not like the one in the picture on their website. I'd return it but by the time i spend an hour in line at the PO and pay for postage its not worth the ten bucks to me.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:07 am

I used to order a lot from Steve at Angela, but this was back before the internet. He used to carry a lot of NOS Fender and Marshall amp parts for older amps. I haven't done any business with them for at least 10 years.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'd at least email them and voice a complaint about what was sent. Maybe they shipped the wrong part to you.

E9th

Postby E9th » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:12 am

Looking again at the pictures online, this is maybe my fault afterall. :oops:

It sure looked like a split knurled shaft the first time I looked, and of course this particulary part is out of stock now so i cant see the picture I originally saw. The other clarostats tho do show the kind of shaft i received, so maybe I just saw what i wanted to see and wasnt careful enough.

back to the drawing board with a 500K alpha I guess.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 am

The Alpha will work just fine electronically, but test one to see if the knurling pattern will match the Mosrite knobs. The Alpha pots are metric and are different from vintage Mosrite knobs. This may or may not be an issue.

I've been meaning to ask you, what transistors are on your board?

E9th

Postby E9th » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:36 pm

I have a leftover A500K alpha mini here and it fits the mosrite knob perfectly. From what Ive read I need the 500K to be linear taper tho and I am guessing theeh A in A500K stands for audio taper? I didnt really want to use the mini pots, its been hard to find one shop with linear 500K and audio 50K with split shafts. I need to look around some more, I guess.

Trannies are TZ-82's.
The board is entirely intact (minus the masking tape)
I'll need to get some NOS masking tape ...haha. :D

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”