Making a an amp outta a PA and some speakers

ZacJM
Top Producer

Making a an amp outta a PA and some speakers

Postby ZacJM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:06 am

My Cordovox is a semi-electric accordion and when I put it through my Marshall it doesn't come out totally clean, my problem is that I play in a church choir and last time we played my accordion wasn't audible during the mass and I need amplification. I have a PA system but the speaker I got with it is too big to drag into the church so I want to make something smaller. I was thinking of getting 1, or two, small speakers that would be about the size of a typical guitar amp, and put the PA on top and house it all in a plywood frame or something. My question is, 1) do they make/sell speakers that are around the size I'm looking for and 2) would this work/be worth doing. I'd rather not invest in another amp if I can cut corners and make something use-able outta what I got already
http://www.youtube.com/zacmoritz

Main instruments:
Wilson Bros. VM-100 Bogle Model
Reissue Epiphone Willshire
Marshall Mosfet 100 Reverb amp
Green Russian Fuzz Box
Cordovox Super V
Golden Cup Chromatic B-System

vjf1968
Top Producer

Re: Making a an amp outta a PA and some speakers

Postby vjf1968 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:28 am

ZacJM wrote:My Cordovox is a semi-electric accordion and when I put it through my Marshall it doesn't come out totally clean, my problem is that I play in a church choir and last time we played my accordion wasn't audible during the mass and I need amplification. I have a PA system but the speaker I got with it is too big to drag into the church so I want to make something smaller. I was thinking of getting 1, or two, small speakers that would be about the size of a typical guitar amp, and put the PA on top and house it all in a plywood frame or something. My question is, 1) do they make/sell speakers that are around the size I'm looking for and 2) would this work/be worth doing. I'd rather not invest in another amp if I can cut corners and make something use-able outta what I got already

You can check with www.tedweber.com and email them about your problem. They can probably reccomend something.

I know you said you did not want another amp, but have you tried one of these? http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products/lunchbox.html
They are pretty loud, and you can carry it and your accordion in one go. Of course you may also want to look at the Club 12 for more bottom end.

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”