What are the best speakers?

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

What are the best speakers?

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Well, to get the ball rolling in this new section I thought I'd do a little research on speakers. A while ago I played through a Vox AC-15 and really loved it. It had a Celestion Blue Alnico speaker in it. Since then I've been GAS'n for a Vox Night Train with the intention of building my own cabinet. My first thought was to get a Celestion Blue. Then I began to wonder if you can mix speakers. For example, if I did a two speaker cabinet can I use 1 Celestion Blue, and 1 Emminence? What do you techno-types think?
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: What are the best speakers?

Postby Mr. Bill » Thu May 20, 2010 3:05 pm

I don't know about the "best speaker" part of your question, but mixing speakers is fine as long as you pay attention to a few technical points. I really do like the sound of the Celestion 12" Blue, I just wish that it weren't so pricey.

When mixing speakers remember that the speaker with the lowest wattage rating will still set the maximum power input level rating for the cabinet.

Different speaker makers may have different input polarity markings, so check the phase of each speaker with a battery before wiring the cabinet.

Due to differences in efficiency ratings one speaker may overpower the other one volume wise. You may need to try a few combinations to get the right mix.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Mr. Bill wrote:I don't know about the "best speaker" part of your question, but mixing speakers is fine as long as you pay attention to a few technical points. I really do like the sound of the Celestion 12" Blue, I just wish that it weren't so pricey.

When mixing speakers remember that the speaker with the lowest wattage rating will still set the maximum power input level rating for the cabinet.

Different speaker makers may have different input polarity markings, so check the phase of each speaker with a battery before wiring the cabinet.

Due to differences in efficiency ratings one speaker may overpower the other one volume wise. You may need to try a few combinations to get the right mix.

Wut? :?
1982 Fender Bullet

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Some speakers push outwards, some inwards. When you connect a 9 volt battery to the terminals, the cone will move in or out. Efficiency ratings basically tell you how loud the speaker will be. It is very common to mix 2 types of speakers, just keep them the same impedance. Even if one is louder, the opposite one will help deliver differences in tone that 2 like speakers won't. Make sense?

BTW, I have and will keep in stock some Celestion speakers, mainly Greenbacks and Blue/Gold. Your Blues are only rated for 15 watts, so be careful with what amp you use and how loud you play. BTW, the 10" Greenbacks are great speakers with a 30 watt rating.

Blues aren't cheap though, $289.00 plus shipping each for 12". I don't have any Blue or Gold in 10's. PM me if you're interested. Website up Saturday???? I hope.

Rocco

'
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Thu May 20, 2010 7:31 pm

289.00..yikes for that kinda money you could get some vintage Vox bulldogs they would go nicely with the Night Train me thinks.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:53 pm

zarfnober wrote:Some speakers push outwards, some inwards. When you connect a 9 volt battery to the terminals, the cone will move in or out. Efficiency ratings basically tell you how loud the speaker will be. It is very common to mix 2 types of speakers, just keep them the same impedance. Even if one is louder, the opposite one will help deliver differences in tone that 2 like speakers won't. Make sense?

BTW, I have and will keep in stock some Celestion speakers, mainly Greenbacks and Blue/Gold. Your Blues are only rated for 15 watts, so be careful with what amp you use and how loud you play. BTW, the 10" Greenbacks are great speakers with a 30 watt rating.

Blues aren't cheap though, $289.00 plus shipping each for 12". I don't have any Blue or Gold in 10's. PM me if you're interested. Website up Saturday???? I hope.

Rocco
'

Thank you for the explanation. I had no idea the cone could move in different directions. I understand the impedance part. The Vox Night Train can swtich from 15W to 7.5 W and it has speaker jacks for 8 ohm or 16 ohm. I would assume if I mount two speakers that the impedance would have to match.

I'll do my best to get the website live this weekend. I'll be ready for a party after that!!
1982 Fender Bullet

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu May 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Perhaps this demonstration video by Mr. Weber can help also:

BTW, I've never listened to Weber speakers but some folks find that they are the holy grail for certain amps such as Fender.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks for the video. That was interesting. So, it sounds like if one is out of "phase" you can just switch the wires around.
1982 Fender Bullet

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri May 21, 2010 4:50 am

Sarah93003 wrote:So, it sounds like if one is out of "phase" you can just switch the wires around.
Indeed! Let me take a stab at it; think of two rowers in a boat; both need to row together in unison -doing the same "rhythmic pattern", if you like in order to be effective.
Likewise both (or more) speakers should be pumping air in unison -or in step with each other- for maximum effectiveness. If one speaker is "out of phase" as already pointed out, there will be a significant amount of loss in the low fregency range since both speakers are then 'competing' against each other i.e. they are not working together by cancelling out each other's air movements :)

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Fri May 21, 2010 5:53 am

Wrong Weber there. Ted Webers(rip) company makes Weber speakers, Gerald Weber in video has Kendrick speakers(Ithink).

Original Vox Bulldogs are great speakers, new Blues are new. Some people would rather have a new speaker to gig with than a nice vintage one due to value of the vintage. As for new, you'll need some break in time. As for price, the Blues list at $425! Wholesale cost is much higher than you think. But yeah, they're expensive.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”