What are the best speakers?

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: What are the best speakers?

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:57 am

Veenture wrote:
Sarah93003 wrote:So, it sounds like if one is out of "phase" you can just switch the wires around.
Indeed! Let me take a stab at it; think of two rowers in a boat; both need to row together in unison -doing the same "rhythmic pattern", if you like in order to be effective.
Likewise both (or more) speakers should be pumping air in unison -or in step with each other- for maximum effectiveness. If one speaker is "out of phase" as already pointed out, there will be a significant amount of loss in the low fregency range since both speakers are then 'competing' against each other i.e. they are not working together by cancelling out each other's air movements :)

Okay, I totally get it. It's like when my brother and his wife are in the same canoe. He's 6'2 and 250 lbs, and she's 5'2 and 125 lbs. They fight all the way down the river because they can't seem to get in unison and he's so much stronger it makes him mad he has to keep switching back and forth. This has been happening for 35+ years and they just haven't figured out it's best if she is in a different canoe. I've made the suggestion to no avail.

So, Boom......Boom-boom.....Boom.......Boom-boom. I'll figure this stuff out yet! :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri May 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Sarah93003 wrote:Okay, I totally get it. It's like when my brother and his wife are in the same canoe. He's 6'2 and 250 lbs, and she's 5'2 and 125 lbs. They fight all the way down the river because they can't seem to get in unison and he's so much stronger it makes him mad he has to keep switching back and forth. This has been happening for 35+ years and they just haven't figured out it's best if she is in a different canoe. I've made the suggestion to no avail.
That is funny Sarah, but you know something? maybe it's their secret way of having fun together! :D

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Veenture wrote:
Sarah93003 wrote:Okay, I totally get it. It's like when my brother and his wife are in the same canoe. He's 6'2 and 250 lbs, and she's 5'2 and 125 lbs. They fight all the way down the river because they can't seem to get in unison and he's so much stronger it makes him mad he has to keep switching back and forth. This has been happening for 35+ years and they just haven't figured out it's best if she is in a different canoe. I've made the suggestion to no avail.
That is funny Sarah, but you know something? maybe it's their secret way of having fun together! :D

I wish I had just one video from the many, many, times they veered of into the bushes or trees while everyone else gently flows down the river. I'd have to "bleep" out the vulgarities though! ;)
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 am

Celestion G12H30's with a 55hz bass resonance. Period.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”