RAT distortion pedal - custom build

socoto

RAT distortion pedal - custom build

Postby socoto » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Another pedal I built awhile ago. I just posted it on the BYOC pedals forum and thought you all might like to see it as well. It’s a rat. The case is etched and the eye lights up when engaged. It sounds really cool.

To see some of my custom built pedals go to: http://www.SocotoSound.com

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: RAT distortion pedal - custom build

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

nice wiring work dude, how does it sound?
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

midwestsurfer

Postby midwestsurfer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:47 am

What a great looking pedal! I just checked out your website and am really impressed with your builds. I didn't see any prices listed, but I'm interested to know how much your Rat pedal goes for. I've always liked that classic Rat sound, but the newer ProCo versions just don't have it.

Keep up the good work!
Nick

socoto

Postby socoto » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks for the positive comments. It’s hard to say on the sound. I find it really subjective with different amp/guitar setups. Of the pedals I’ve built (listed on the website) and other pedals I’ve played before, the RAT sounds the best. I’m using a David Allen Encore amp that’s very fender-like; I think almost any pedal would sound good in front of that amp! :) The distortion seems very versatile. I’m working on making videos (YouTube) of the pedals for my site (hopefully done by the end of this month). The videos should help with describing the sound. I’d feel better if people heard the pedal prior to purchasing…I know I’m very particular with the sound I’m after, so I assume others are too.

I haven’t sold any pedals yet. I’m waiting to get the videos complete…this way customers can commission me to build pedals like I’ve built before. Also, this will allow for customers to get the sound they want with custom designed etched enclosures, if desired. As for prices, ? not too sure. If I charged an hourly rate, it’d be way too high. It really depends on parts cost and ease of the build, but mainly what a customer will pay. Once complete, I may take them to Guitar Center to see what they will offer. Additionally I may put them on ebay to see what they go for. That’s the only way I can think of determining price. Any ideas on price is welcomed advice. :?:

I’ve got a couple more pedals in the works…just did the cases yesterday; a BYOC Chorus (kit), another single knob fuzz, and my interpretation of a FuzzRite. :D I’ll post them on my site and here when complete.
To see some of my custom built pedals go to: http://www.SocotoSound.com

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”