Mini piggy back

dubtrub
Administrator

Mini piggy back

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:45 am

For you bass player's here's a unique piggy back project. This is my son's (Daren not Duane) practice amp for his bass. For professional gigs he has a 300 watt Carvin setup with two speaker cabinets, one with 4x12's and one with an 18. He bought a smaller practice amp combo but it still weighed a ton. So in an effort to make things easier for rehearsing he and I scratch built a head cab and speaker cabinet. It still weighs a ton with the one twelve inch speakern and I think the head is 150 watts. Here's the newest version of the same amp before it was modified. :arrow: Bass amp

It's covered in tweed and has all Fender chrome parts. As you can see in the third photo, the rear panel is ported with a hole and grill cloth. The bass guitars is one I built 10 years ago using a Warmouth P bass ash body, Stew Mac Jazz bass neck, and Dimarzio pup's, Badass bridge, I finished it in nitro lacquer. This is one sweet guitar and that small piggy back will crack the plaster on the walls.

You can compare it's small size to the reverb unit and Vibro Champ setting next to it in one of the the links below.

Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mini piggy back

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:52 am

Listen, since you are so "gifted and talented" in the Project Dept, I've got
one for you.......How about you make your own version Mosrite Amp?????
No, I'm not kidding, and you already have the "Dubtrub Special" for Reverb
and the Fuzzrite that you built. Now all you need to do is to make them the
"All in One" with everything in one Cabinet Fixture.....or two if you decide to
do this in a Piggyback Version. :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:05 am

Well, that would definitely be an interesting undertaking, however, I am up to my eyeballs with projects that I am capable of completing. Maybe if I had a set of layout drawings and the schematics, I 'might' be able to 'kinda' duplicate Mosrite amp. But for the most part I think it would be way over may head. I'll wait and let one our other forum members tackle that project. :lol:

But since you brought up the subject of building an amp, here's a copy of a Fender deluxe 5E3 that I built a couple of years ago using a Weber kit. This was my first electronics learning project. :shock:

Image Image
Image Image
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:14 am

Danny, that's awesome! Where did you get the Tube Spec Info Sheet for inside the cab?
And better yet, is that a Winchester in the background on the right side of the pic? :shock:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:27 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Danny, that's awesome! Where did you get the Tube Spec Info Sheet for inside the cab?
And better yet, is that a Winchester in the background on the right side of the pic? :shock:

Tube chart I got from a guy in Canada that makes up exact replica's. I have his email address around here somewhere. If anyone is interested I'll try to find it. He has tube charts for just about all vintage Fender amps.

The gun on the right is a flintlock 75 caliber Brown Bess musket (1775 era replica) made buy a friend of mine. The rifle on the rifle on the left is a Pennsylvania long rifle, 50 caliber, flintlock, that I built in 1996. Neither gun was built from a kit, but scratch built from parts. BTW, the Winchester's are in my gun safe. But, all that is another story for the Off Topic forum. ;)
Danny Ellison

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”