Country Pickin' on my Mosrite

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Re: Country Pickin' on my Mosrite

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 am

Beautiful work, Jay!
Enjoyed your comparison video, which included the Hallmark. Amazing how different they all sounded! I recently had time to spend with a '69 Mark 1, and agree with you about the neck issue. However, I found myself having to adjust for a bridge height difference between the Hallmark and the '69. Definitely affected my tremolo picking ala Dick Dale.
You mentioned you had your preferences at the end of the video. Care to elaborate?

leftyjay

Postby leftyjay » Wed May 02, 2012 12:37 pm

the 3 guitars all have different tones as well as neck shapes. all are very useable

the brightest with the most pick attack is the black fillmore classic. the neck is the same width as the american mosrite, but with more of a C shape on the back.
-------------------
the hallmark is quite a bit darker sounding with less pick attack then the other two. a lot of things contribute to this.
first off,
(1) the bridge pickup is spaced away from the roller bridge about 1/2 inch. this makes for a mellower tone than the mosrites.
(2) the pots are 250k. the mosrites have 500k
there are more things...
all these things were brought up in the hallmark forum

i think a set of dana-mo pickups with the pole spacing for the wider neck and string spacing, and a set of 500k pots, would be the trick for the hallmark
-------------------
the sunburst mosrite original has the best tone. not as bright as the black fillmore, but still with the same snappy pick attack. its the best of both worlds. the neck is more of a D shape then a C. the neck is superfast. it is by far my favorite. it has the dana pickups which sound the best of the 3 guitars.

i'm hoping that my candy apple red mosrite i ordered has the same everything as my sunburst. it should arrive within a month. i have to give Artie a call and see what the status is.
Lefty Mosrite Original USA 65 Mark 1 Sunburst 2010
Lefty Mosrite Original USA 65 Mark 1 CAR 2013
Lefty Fillmore of Classics 65 Mark 1 Black 2006
Lefty Hallmark Custom 60 Pearl White 2012

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Fri May 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey Jay, all I can say is Great Job! Your back ground recordings for backup are as good as your Mosrite playing. I guess I can say "You are moving on to the next level" as they say on American Idol.

leftyjay

Postby leftyjay » Sun May 20, 2012 1:16 am

thanks,
i recently posted some better quality audio on my videos where i was able to go straight from my mixer directly into the camera. i was never happy with the camera mic and all the ambiant noise. it took a little experimenting to figure out how to get direct audio with the video. i think it really shows the quality of these guitars as well as my BTs.

http://www.youtube.com/southpawjay

i'm sure i'll post more vids as soon as my candy apple red mosrite shows up on my door step. its been nearly 60 days since ordering it. artie said it should take 45-60 days on a special order. dana is going to make the pickups. i cant wait!!!! :)

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue May 22, 2012 7:22 am

Thanks for the update. Enjoyed those.
Look forward to more when you get the CAR Mosrite Original.
Your 'San Antonio Rose'--really liked it. Who/Which Version influenced you the most in creating your own arragement. A lot of your playing reminds me of the Neil Levang/Buddy Merrill pickin'.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue May 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Nice!!! That little pinky of yours sure can ramble a ways from home! :mrgreen:
Olrocknroller

leftyjay

Postby leftyjay » Wed May 23, 2012 12:30 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:Thanks for the update. Enjoyed those.
Look forward to more when you get the CAR Mosrite Original.
Your 'San Antonio Rose'--really liked it. Who/Which Version influenced you the most in creating your own arragement. A lot of your playing reminds me of the Neil Levang/Buddy Merrill pickin'.

i listened to the original verson by bob wills. decided what i had to work with. drums, bass, piano, and me playing guitar. i really like to play double stops and worked that into my style of pickin. i learned alot off of scotty anderson. i never listened to an instrumental version of san antonio rose till i made my own version of it.

thats something i think works best when creating a song to fit my style. after i play it for a while and create my own version, then i look around and see if theres anybody out there doing it that way.

things are different when you try to learn a song with the thought of copying it note for note. be it ventures, chet, roy clark, jerry reed, santana, srv, evh, etc. i've been feeding off these great guitarists for years. its nice to have variety to feed off of. thats how you make your own style. hopefully i do it a little different than everybody else. thats a good thing ;)

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 am

Wow, I almost missed this one. Glad I watched it today.

How do you get that "Clean & Twangy" sound? What type of Amp did you use for Steel Guitar Rag? If you don't mind, can you share with us the EQ setting on Amp and guitar? Amp sounds super clean too.

leftyjay

Postby leftyjay » Wed May 23, 2012 11:13 am

thanks,
i use a line 6 pod xt live direct into the mixer. the trick is, dont use the amp simulation or mic simulation. use the tube drive in the modulation section and dial in a very slight drive to simulate a slightly pushed tube amp (like a fender deluxe reverb on 6-7). it allows quite a bit of twang to come thru. other than that, i use a bit of compression, reverb, delay.

i think a lot of the "twang" sound is picking technique with a mix of hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed May 23, 2012 1:35 pm

leftyjay wrote:thanks,
i use a line 6 pod xt live direct into the mixer. the trick is, dont use the amp simulation or mic simulation. use the tube drive in the modulation section and dial in a very slight drive to simulate a slightly pushed tube amp (like a fender deluxe reverb on 6-7). it allows quite a bit of twang to come thru. other than that, i use a bit of compression, reverb, delay.

i think a lot of the "twang" sound is picking technique with a mix of hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Thanks, Jay.

I don't get it as I am a compete idiot for those high tech stuff. :?

I have nice Mosrites and nice Bandmaster tube amp but just couldn't get that particular sound. :(

The trick is with the fingers then. :o

Well, going back to basic lesson 1 to practice hammer on and pull off .... :roll:

Return to “Members' Music and Gigs”