Worst gig ever!

Nokie
Top Producer

Re: Worst gig ever!

Postby Nokie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Outer Wave played a nudist colony about 5 years ago. Their rhythm player, JR, was a very stoic individual. He stood their playing his vintage Jazzmaster unphased by the surroundings. The band told of a couple of gals with healthy lungs "shakin' it" in close proximity to JR in an attempt to get a charge out of him. Why don't I get gigs like that?
-Marty

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Tue May 01, 2012 11:10 pm

A band I was in played at a strip bar one time in between the dancers..it did not go over too well. So after about 4 songs and a myriad of objects thrown at us the girls came out and danced while we played which calmed down the crowd although our playing became unfocused.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Wed May 02, 2012 12:06 am

brutus wrote:A band I was in played at a strip bar one time in between the dancers..it did not go over too well. So after about 4 songs and a myriad of objects thrown at us the girls came out and danced while we played which calmed down the crowd although our playing became unfocused.

For a couple of years in the early-to-mid-'70's, I played in the house band at a topless joint (the girls were topless, not the band!) Six nights a week, four and a half hours a night, for two years. Of course nobody was there to hear the band--as long as the girls were happy, the owner was happy. We played a lot of R&B--Al Green, James Brown--even some old rock 'n' roll; "Heartbreak Hotel" was a biggie--and one night one of the better dancers, who had had some ballet experience, asked me to play Jimi Hendrix's version of "The Star-Spangled Banner", which she proceeded to do an amazing free-form balletic routine to which was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. She didn't last very long in that joint--way too classy for the place; most of the dancers were pretty sleazy. I was embarrassed for my friends to come in there, but it paid the rent!

wetbelly

Postby wetbelly » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:09 am

We played a gig one time where we had to use all house gear, aside from our guitars. A battle of the bands sort of gig. We only had five minutes to sound check immediately before we went on. After the first song, I asked the house sound guy for more monitors- and he promptly came over the P.A. telling me to "Just turn down your amp!", which was seriously at about 2. We had a pretty hard hitting drummer at the time too(frankly, that's about all the range he had) who couldn't hear us at all, so after another song, I asked again for more monitors, especially for the drummer, and I got the same response. The gig ended just few songs later after we verbally sparred with the sound guy and cranked the amps. At least we didn't have to haul a bunch of gear :lol:

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:39 am

Blue Oyster Cult "created" their name after playing an outdoor gig at either a swingers party or nudist colony, I forget which. The "bandshell" by the pool was a giant clam/oyster shell, that just happened to be blue. So, Blue for the color of the Oyster shell and Cult for the otherwise perfectly normal people that just love to be naked outside with other naked people and their kids.

And as long as we're talking strippers/nudists, I went over to a friends girlfriends house when I was in SoCal in the early 80's. She said, "don't be surprised if my parents come out naked, they're nudists". Now keep in mind that her dear old dad used to be hired as a celebrity look-a-like. Sure enough, the guy comes out and has a beer with us, totally naked, and he's a dead ringer for Kenny Rogers! I cannot look at Kenny the same anymore!

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Return to “Members' Music and Gigs”