Mach IV reunion vids

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Mach IV reunion vids

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:39 pm

A few weeks ago, I had the honor of rejoining my former bandmates in The Mach IV for our first gig together in seven years. Thankfully a few videos got posted on youtube.

First up, the Shadows classic "Dance On"

Our last song, my original "Il Eko Eleki". My tuning had gone a bit south, but hey, that's rock and roll.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Mach IV reunion vids

Postby dubtrub » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:54 pm

That's cool Mel. Seven Years? Maybe my band needs to take a break for a few years and we can be that tight after a long absence. ;)

On that last song, are you using the Space Echo pedal to get that sound? Also what is the rhythm using to get the paper tearing sound? I hear Don Wilson has that same sound. I just assumed it was massive reverb but it decay's away so fast it can't be an outboard reverb unit.
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Cool Mel. I always enjoy playing "Dance On", myself. Love that spacey sound and tempo of "Il Eko Eleki"! What echo do you use?

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Very nice!!!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks guys! We only managed one rehearsal before the show, but thankfully we all did our homework on our own beforehand.

The echo is a Roland RE-20 digital space echo, set to position "4", the 2+3 tape head sound. This gives a great "galloping" feel which you can't get with single head type echos. For whatever reason, most American echos, like the Echoplex, only had a single record head. Multi-head echos were more common in Europe - Binson, Meazzi, Dynacord, Klemt, WEM, etc all had multiple record heads, and the 2+3 sound was used by The Shadows, The Spotnicks, The Atlantics and others. While a number of modern tape echo simulators can replicate the sound, none that I've tried have an interface as simple and intuitive as the RE-20.

Ferenc played the rhythm on the bridge pickup without much reverb, but the brightness enhances the reverb effect.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Hey, Mel--

The sound you fellows achieved was first rate. There is a real art to choosing pedals and effects, I've found.

I only use one, and that's a Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy delay. Since I'm going for a very particular sound (Sun Records' era Scotty Moore), that manages to do just fine.

I tried using a box that had a wide variety of effects options, and spent a weekend jotting down all kind of arcane permutations and combinations on a yellow pad, only to give up and hand the contraption to my son.

Simple works best for my simple mind.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm with you Jim. A few years ago I bought a Boss GT6 'contraption' (all digital stuff plus a thick operater's manual, :roll: )
and thought "now I have it all" ....pedals, dials, knobs, buttons, amp modelling etc. etc. all on one board. I got fed up very quickly because it controlled me instead of the other way round and I finally admitted to myself that I needed only about 10% of the stuff on board anyway...
My mind is still in the analog world I'm afraid :oops:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:48 pm

That's exactly why I was so excited when the RE-20 came out - it has the same controls as the RE-201 Space Echo. Perhaps with a different interface it could do a bunch more, but I'm glad it's how it is, as I know how to work it.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 am

Mel, whenever someone posts a PIC or VID, I always look at that first, then read the comments. But after I watched the Youtubes and then read your remarks,
I had to go back and listen to your original "Il Eko Eleki" for I had thought you had played it intentionally that way :) . Sometimes I'll choke up on the chorusing
to get a little bit of de-tuning for a certain effect, and that's what I thought you had done. But it sounded great! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:05 am

Very nice. Thanks.
Jim

Return to “Members' Music and Gigs”