Ventures II Slab Neck Screws

SouthernVersion

Ventures II Slab Neck Screws

Postby SouthernVersion » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:09 pm

To anyone who owns a Ventures II Slab body, would you be able to post a photo of the neck screws on the back of the guitar, as well as the metal plate that covers them? I’m looking to build a Ventures II Slab replica and this is the only thing I can’t find. Thanks.

-Matthew
1966 Mosrite The Ventures Mark V (B1027)
1966 Inter-mark Cipher Ranger
1970's Encore Short Scale Bass
1970's Hondo II (Les Paul Copy)
2016 Eastwood Mach II (JR. Elite) w/ Hallmark Pickups
2019 Dana Moseley Wound Ventures I Pickup in a Strat

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Ventures II Slab Neck Screws

Postby 101Volts » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:13 pm

I'm not sure if this will help much. I found some pics of the metal plate, but not underneath it.

Metal Plate:

https://reverb.com/item/5382370-1965-mo ... -slab-body

Image'
cs

Also, from the neck pocket side, you can see that the neck screws are a bit asymmetrical. The 4 larger holes are for the neck, the 2 smaller ones probably were to hold the body while painting it. It looks like these Slab models also had a neck shim:

https://reverb.com/item/31118640-vintag ... ramone-hsc

As for if there are ferrules for the neck screws? I do not know, but it wouldn't hurt if there are.

Oh, and I should note that this design is a little prone to neck pocket cracks. B007 is most likely no longer around, largely due to that. A crack can be fixed with Titebond, though.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

SouthernVersion

Postby SouthernVersion » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:07 pm

101Volts wrote:I'm not sure if this will help much. I found some pics of the metal plate, but not underneath it.

Metal Plate:

https://reverb.com/item/5382370-1965-mo ... -slab-body

Image'
cs

Also, from the neck pocket side, you can see that the neck screws are a bit asymmetrical. The 4 larger holes are for the neck, the 2 smaller ones probably were to hold the body while painting it. It looks like these Slab models also had a neck shim:

https://reverb.com/item/31118640-vintag ... ramone-hsc

As for if there are ferrules for the neck screws? I do not know, but it wouldn't hurt if there are.

Oh, and I should note that this design is a little prone to neck pocket cracks. B007 is most likely no longer around, largely due to that. A crack can be fixed with Titebond, though.

- Austin

Thank you, I’ve seen these before. I actually just found a picture of Johnny’s ventures II from behind. Just the photo I was looking for.

What exactly makes this design crack easily? Is it how the neck screws are placed? Or is it the metal cover?

-Matthew

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:08 pm

You're welcome. I'm not sure how exactly the neck pocket's likely to crack, but if it's because the wood is thin there, that could be the case. Beside B007, I also saw a photo of a reissue like this, but I don't know if that one was fixed or not.

Again, it should be all fixable with Titebond even if that happens. That's how I fixed the "headstock break" on my "Riff" brand ES-335 Copy. But really, it was a glue failure, and it was the cleanest "headstock break" I ever saw.

- Austin

SouthernVersion

Postby SouthernVersion » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:32 pm

101Volts wrote:You're welcome. I'm not sure how exactly the neck pocket's likely to crack, but if it's because the wood is thin there, that could be the case. Beside B007, I also saw a photo of a reissue like this, but I don't know if that one was fixed or not.

Again, it should be all fixable with Titebond even if that happens. That's how I fixed the "headstock break" on my "Riff" brand ES-335 Copy. But really, it was a glue failure, and it was the cleanest "headstock break" I ever saw.

- Austin

Interesting, I’d assume it’s from the screws on the metal cover. They’d seem more likely to cause issues than the actual neck bolts. Thanks.

- Matthew

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:19 pm

SouthernVersion wrote:Interesting, I’d assume it’s from the screws on the metal cover. They’d seem more likely to cause issues than the actual neck bolts. Thanks.

- Matthew

Whatever the case, I don't think most reissues have the plate. I'm not sure if that's a cost cutting measure, or if it's a neck pocket stability improvement, or both.

- Austin

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”