NGD - "Mosrite" Avenger

BlackieOnasis

NGD - "Mosrite" Avenger

Postby BlackieOnasis » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:48 am

It's been a while since I've been active on this forum, mostly because I didn't think I had much to offer in the conversations. However, this happened yesterday:

Saw it on eBay (that's where the pictures are from) and I had to jump on it. It's a bit beat up, but I like to think of that as mojo and the bones are solid. The strings were, of course, rotten, the pots need cleaning, the tuning machines are stupidly stiff and the bridge rollers were all completely seized up with sweaty guitar-player-hand corrosion. I can live with the tuners for now, and the other issues are all fairly easy repairs. For the bridge, I swapped in a set of saddles from an eBay "Mosrite style" bridge, which seems to be a "close enough" fit.

Slapped some new strings on it and plugged it in - not bad! Needs some adjusting, maybe a fret job eventually, and I'll have to assess the neck bow once it acclimates a bit, but not bad at all. Clean sounds really nice, but it distorts pretty quickly unless you roll off on the volume knob. Not sure how to address that yet, or even if it needs addressing.

Neck is surprisingly comfortable, and the string spacing works pretty well for me, too. The trem needs a little fettling (the pivot pins had dropped out in shipping, so the whole arm assembly came off and rattled around, adding some mojo to the "road worn" finish. Oddly, the knobs were off the pots, too. Maybe customs did this for some reason?

Anyway, it's my first time handling something even close to a real deal Mosrite, and I have to say I get it now. I liked the sound and aesthetics before, but having one in hand really brings home how great a design this was.

So, does anyone know if the Avenger bridge and trem measurements match a real Ventures model, or better yet a Hallmark? The roller saddles are really wasted, and while the ones from the eBay knockoff bridge work, I'm not sure they're as close to tolerance as I'd like.

panther
Top Producer

Re: NGD - "Mosrite" Avenger

Postby panther » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:53 am

Welcome;
A bit beat up ? It looks like new ?
What's wrong with the rollers, post some photos.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:50 am

Beat up: Mostly, there's some nicks and dings in the finish that don't show up in the auction pictures. Nothing deal breaking, but typical for a guitar from the late '60s - early '70s, and what I expected from the description. (I THINK that's the vintage, from what the internet suggests.)

Rollers: Completely gummed up and seized from sweaty palm-muting and general lack of cleaning for the last however-many years. I tried loosening the gunk with a naptha soak, gentle pressure with various picks and needle-nose pliers, but that was dicey without scarring the rollers. I did free one up by driving out the pin with a bamboo skewer, which revealed the pin was badly bent, which could also be part of the reason there was no rotation, too.

I'm at work, I'll post pics of it when I get home.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:17 am

Before you discard the bridge try soaking the bridge/rollers with "break free CLP" solvent for a few hours. After that buff away any rust with steel wool. I doubt you will need a new bridge after that.
Danny Ellison

Scoot

Postby Scoot » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Nice stuff

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:46 am

dubtrub wrote:Before you discard the bridge try soaking the bridge/rollers with "break free CLP" solvent for a few hours. After that buff away any rust with steel wool. I doubt you will need a new bridge after that.

I'm not discarding them, even if I can't get them freed up. I'd forgotten about Break Free - great idea! I've got a couple of bottles in my gun cleaning kit, so I'll try that as soon as I get some free time.

The knockoff roller saddles are looser in the original bridge bracket (I guess you'd call it that?) than I'd like, so I'm definitely going to be working on fixing the originals sooner than later. If nothing else, I can make a new bracket for the knockoff saddles that will fit them better and fit the stock post spacing. I'm thinking a simple piece of aluminum U channel will fit the bill nicely on that, but first I'll try to get the original rollers rolling.

I worked all day (2am to 4pm) yesterday, and today is going to be similar, plus a wedding tonight, so I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone!

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:14 am

dubtrub wrote:Before you discard the bridge try soaking the bridge/rollers with "break free CLP" solvent for a few hours. After that buff away any rust with steel wool. I doubt you will need a new bridge after that.

I agree, I find VERY LITTLE in life is wasted.
A little cleaning and lubrication, and they will be fine. If really worn finish gone, have them re-chromed.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:52 pm

I recently got an Avenger which needed a bit of cleaning but turned out pretty good. the only thing that bugs me though is that the roller bridge doesn't have actual rollers, instead the posts are one solid piece with a wedge like a Gibson Bridge. the string notches are cut too far to one side and the strings touch the posts which stops them from vibrating properly. It's interesting that yours had rollers; I guess different Avengers had different parts according to their price level but now I'm on the hunt for a bridge to fit mine.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”