Replacement bass pickup

dmeros

Replacement bass pickup

Postby dmeros » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:32 pm

I have an Eastwood Hi-Flyer that I bought to use in a band where the original bass player played a Mosrite. It sounds great to me, but I've never compared it to a real Mosrite. Has anyone ever compared the sound of the Eastwood to a real Mosrite, and if so, how do the pickups compare? If the Eastwood is close in sound to the original then fantastic, but if it's not close what is a good replacement pickup? I've heard that the Seymour Duncan "Mosrite For Bass" that they make in their custom shop is pretty good, but it's not cheap.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Replacement bass pickup

Postby dubtrub » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:21 pm

I tried a set of Eastwood p'ups in a bass that I built. No comparison, they didn't have the punch or the bottom end that a Mosrite has. I got a set of Ed Elliott p'ups which are wound to Mosrite spec's. Also you might consider Hallmark or try Curtis Novak p'ups. All three are built to Mosrite specs and have 'that' sound.
Danny Ellison

dmeros

Re: Replacement bass pickup

Postby dmeros » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks for the info, that's awesome! I'm now properly convinced that I need to swap pickups. I checked out all your recommendations and while I was down the rabbit hole I also discovered m3california pickups, which also look like pretty serious replicas of the vintage Mosrite.

http://www.m3california.com/rh-100.html (the bass version is the same specs, just with four pole pieces)

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”