Pickguard Question

Johnny-Alien

Pickguard Question

Postby Johnny-Alien » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 am

So on the Excellent model I just got the pickguard has some pretty serious overhang. I have zero idea if that is normal or not for a real vintage model or for a reissue such as this. Perhaps it is a replacement guard? The guitar is pretty much as new so it would seem unlikely they replaced the guard. I would like to get a mint guard but if the pickguard is not fitting as it should it seems silly to use it as a template for the new one. How would I go about getting one that actually fits better? Are there any places offering pickguards for the Excellent/Kurokumo ventures model?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Re: Pickguard Question

Postby Bob Shade » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:29 am

That is normal on vintage Mosrites.

Johnny-Alien

Postby Johnny-Alien » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:11 am

OK, thanks Bob. I guess that means I can just get a pickguard made off of a tracing of the one on mine. Does anyone know an affordable but good place that does this?

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:25 am

Check with Sarah, maybe she can trim it down to fit better.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Johnny-Alien

Postby Johnny-Alien » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:21 am

I think I understand the overhang a bit now after looking at it. I would have to move the screw holes in a bit to get rid of the overhang because bringing it in would not leave enough room for the screw hole. I guess with a route for the electronics and a german carve you only have so much room for the screw to go and then the edge overhangs a bit. I would think it would be near impossible to not have some overhang.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”