Locking Tuners Question

Johnny-Alien

Locking Tuners Question

Postby Johnny-Alien » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:34 am

I like locking tuners. I know the vintage ones are fine and all but I just like the quicker string changes. I have an excellent 65 mosrite coming to me. It looks like it has the press in vintage tuner style which limits what I can do as far as drop ins are concerned. I am not at all worried about leaving one screw hole open or anything like that but would like to get a tuner that I can drop in without reaming out or changing the tuner hole. I had read that the zamminc site used to sell drop in locking replacements and he sold the same guitar that I am getting. Does anyone remember what those tuners were (I think they were from Gotoh) OR does anyone have a recommendation of what has worked for them?

I have a Hallmark coming too does that have the press in bushings as well?

panther
Top Producer

Re: Locking Tuners Question

Postby panther » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:23 am

I'm sure someone has a comparable sized shaft on a locking tuner that will fit Mosrite, If not, sometimes we have to compromise, as much as we hate to. But going the other way there are many adapter insert to take up the excess space if you choose to go back. If you plan to keep the guitar, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Mod.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:32 pm

I have sperzels on my Hallmarks. Fits fine, just shows existing screw holes.

Johnny-Alien

Postby Johnny-Alien » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Did you have to ream out the holes to a larger size on the hallmark? It looks like they have push in bushings but that they might be larger adapter sized ones meaning that the hole is the larger 10mm hole required for locking tuners.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:50 am

You can purchase just about any combination of tuner hole insert to accommodate the difference in sizes. Even if you had to ream out the holes, in the event you want to go back to original, they make inserts that will take care of that also.
That type modification would not bother me as much as a new set of holes in the headstock would.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”