Replacement parts needed to fit a 1967 Mark V - help...

sumlin

Replacement parts needed to fit a 1967 Mark V - help...

Postby sumlin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi all

I am restoring a Mark V that someone has thoughtfully converted into a 'slanted neck pickup' design by lopping half the last fret off! Ouch...
Am weighing up keeping it this way vs somehow sticking a chunk of wood on the corner to correct it but I'll ponder that some more.

(images don't embed for some reason...)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=572FC0DA

I need to get some parts. It's definitely a player so I just want this thing to work and work well.

I have a trem unit from a Firstman that fits but unfortunately the string retainer part has snapped away where the pivot bolt goes and it's unfixable. My guess is a replacement unit would be easiest but if anyone has any advice or thoughts on maybe just replacing the string retainer part then hit me up.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=572B20E0

It also needs a bridge - I'm unsure whether repro bridges (like the Hallmark) would be a drop-in fit for a Mark V in terms of string spacing and so on. Again, any advice gratefully received and if you have a complete trem and bridge I want to hear from you!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=573065BB

Finally I need a neck plate and correct screws (or at least advice on where to get new replacements if I can).

Any help very gratefully received....

Chris
Brass Rail #43
Acoustic Black Widow #BC1092
MkV #B735
Univox Hi Fliers, Tele Deluxes, Harmony Bobkats

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Re: Replacement parts needed to fit a 1967 Mark V - help...

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Yes I have all the parts you would need. I have both NOS Mosrite bridges as well as new Hallmark bridges and both will fit. I also have the trem rocker that you need for your trem as well as a new arm if you like. Mosrite neck plates too. Have other parts too if you need them. You can PM me for prices.

Best and thanks, Bob Shade

motiersbad
Valued Member

Postby motiersbad » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:56 pm

i know this guitar from ebay!

the strange thing is .... i have seen two more conversions like that from a mark V ! Is it really clear that this is not from mosrite (or a antother company) itself?

it seems that this guitar had in the past a stoptail that was reoved, flled and then oversprayed

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:08 am

motiersbad wrote:i know this guitar from ebay!

the strange thing is .... i have seen two more conversions like that from a mark V ! Is it really clear that this is not from mosrite (or a antother company) itself?

it seems that this guitar had in the past a stoptail that was reoved, flled and then oversprayed

It seems to me that someone bought it and wanted the normal Ventures look (or sound even) so hacked it up to fit the larger Mosrite pickups and to slant the neck one. It's not terribly done but it does make you wonder why someone would do that! In truth the workmanship looks quite Moseleyesque...
It's definitely had a Tun-o-matic and stop tail too though the holes are quite well plugged.
It was fairly cheap and I was able to get my hands on the correct pickups so I was always intending it as a gigging guitar that I could modify a little without feeling bad that I was hacking up something original. I'm just toying with what to do with it - I'm veering towards putting it back to straight pickups and getting a new guard cut to fit so that it covers the hole left by the missing chunk of neck. Then, if it works out to be a great guitar I can always find a more permanent aesthetic solution to the part that's missing.
Brass Rail #43
Acoustic Black Widow #BC1092
MkV #B735
Univox Hi Fliers, Tele Deluxes, Harmony Bobkats

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Maybe it's just me but I'd just leave it as-is if I wasn't going to glue another section of wood to it and make it look stock again. Then again I do have the same model except without that modification, so there's that.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”