Refret my Ventures II Slab?

cBroadbo

Refret my Ventures II Slab?

Postby cBroadbo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:14 pm

I bought a Ventures II slab a couple years back. The frets on it are pretty worn in various places on the fretboard and it makes it tough to play in those areas. I am contemplating having it refretted, but I would like to hear from some of you before going down that road.

One of my biggest concerns is that I DON'T want the serial number sanded off. It is very faint to begin with and it wouldn't take much sanding before you couldn't see it at all.

I have another Venture II (German Carve model) that was refretted before I bought it and I really like it, so my hope is that I could get my slab in really good playing condition.

I do understand that refretting the guitar could lower the value, but many people say it doesn't. I'm not so concerned about the value because I have no intention of selling the guitar anytime soon, but I still wouldn't want to drastically devalue it. I really want to start playing this guitar regularly, perhaps as my main guitar.

I would welcome any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Craig
1965 Mosrite Ventures II Slab #B080

zarfnober
Top Producer

Re: Refret my Ventures II Slab?

Postby zarfnober » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:34 am

You can try a good luthier/repair guy and see if they can do a fret file first. It may be fine after that, or, switch necks with your other one!

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Refret my Ventures II Slab?

Postby 101Volts » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:41 pm

Depending on the neck a refret could be done without sanding the fretboard.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”