1965 Mosrite Restoration. Need some help….

SneakyT

1965 Mosrite Restoration. Need some help….

Postby SneakyT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:50 am

Alright I have a customer that brought me a 1965 Mosrite in pieces that he wants restored. Here are some pics.
http://s67.photobucket.com/user/twneagle/slideshow/mosrite
Most all of the original parts are there including the vibramute. It was obviously refinished, which he confirmed as his dad was the previous owner who did it. The truss rod was broken but these can be removed without having to remove the fretboard. The actual truss rod looks as though it can be re-welded easily enough. One pickup is operational but the other has been taken apart. The frets are toast so those are getting replaced for sure. One pot looks to have been replaced at some point but the shafts on both are broken anyway.

Here are the questions I have.

1. The pickguard doesn't look to be original to me as it hangs over the edge of the body and looks very thick compared to all the pictures I've seen of vintage Mosrites. Can anyone confirm this for me?

2. Does anyone have a suggestion on who to have re-wind the pickup? I'd like to find someone who has some vintage Mosrite pickup knowledge.

3. Anyone have any idea how to find a paint code for Ink Blue? Thats what it originally was. Its a real shame that this was refinished since it seems Ink Blue was the rarest of the finishes from that era or so Ive been told.

4. What were the original pots rated? 500K? What brand were they?

5. Faily sure the cap is not original. Can anyone confirm? Original value?

6. Any other details I should look for when trying to get it back to original form?

vibramutant1965

Re: 1965 Mosrite Restoration. Need some help….

Postby vibramutant1965 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:59 pm

1; pickguard is not stock 2;Ed Elliot , Dana Moseley 3; its medium metallic blue not ink blue, scrape some of the white off and eyeball it. 4 ;cant see the dates on the pots but dont look stock , some like 500k some prefer 250k , CTS is fine .5; Cap looks stock , shoud be a .5mfd . 6; frets look ok from the pic , its a mosrite thats how they were . 7 ;switch tip is wrong 8 ;truss rod threads were brazed on there 9; will he sell it as is?

SneakyT

Postby SneakyT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:22 pm

vibramutant1965 wrote:1; pickguard is not stock 2;Ed Elliot , Dana Moseley 3; its medium metallic blue not ink blue, scrape some of the white off and eyeball it. 4 ;cant see the dates on the pots but dont look stock , some like 500k some prefer 250k , CTS is fine .5; Cap looks stock , shoud be a .5mfd . 6; frets look ok from the pic , its a mosrite thats how they were . 7 ;switch tip is wrong 8 ;truss rod threads were brazed on there 9; will he sell it as is?

Thanks for the advice on the pickups. You are the second person to tell me that the frets look ok. Obviously I can't accurately check how level they are until I get the truss back in and the fretboard is leveled. There is very little of the original blue left and not enough to get a match at my paint vendor. Anybody have a near enough code? I'd also like to try to find out the original pots that were used on it. I'll keep scouring this forum to see what gut shots I can find.
BTW It was his father's guitar so he's not looking to sell it.

vibramutant1965

Postby vibramutant1965 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:18 am

metallic mosrites were polyester finish in the tri coat candy fashion ie metalfake , translucent color , then clear , color sand and buff. I use automotive polyurethane and tint it with the dyes from stewart mcdonald , pick at the original finish to see if the fake is gold or silver .

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:17 am

"3; its medium metallic blue not ink blue,"...
In either case, I'd check with Bob Shade @ Hallmark...he uses a medium blue and a new Ink Blue on his Hallmarks. Not sure if he made exact Mosrite color matches or not but he can let you know. Bob will probably chime in on this thread anyway.

Scott

vibramutant1965

Postby vibramutant1965 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:35 am

good idea he sprays these finishes routineley......

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:53 am

Bob'd probably respray it for you too...don't know his prices though.
Scott

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks for the nod Scott! I am away traveling this week, but will return on Monday. Please let me know if I can assist in any way, I am more than happy to. Yes we do it all on vintage Mosrites for restoration and have the original silk screens to if the logo need be re applied during re finishing.

Shoot me a work list of anything you would like assistance with and I can get back with you then.

Rockin regards!

Bob Shade

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”