The Hallmark Custom 60 - Perfected

Nitromessiah

The Hallmark Custom 60 - Perfected

Postby Nitromessiah » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:53 pm

I haven't looked into how to post photos on here yet, but I wanted to let you guys know I perfected the Hallmark Custom 60 and possibly other Mosrite clones, Jazzmaster/Jag type guitars using similar bridges like the C60.

First thing I did, was drill & tap the bridge height screws, machined brass washers, and installed a vertical setscrew. Then I had the tremolo block machined to lower the E and G string holes, so they have maximum downforce against the now locked down and stationary roller bridge. I also removed and reglued the string spacer (above the zero fret) with urethane glue.

The results were much more sustain, much more tone, and way more resonance, and a better setup as string height can be lowered if desired.

To finally have Mosrite tone (I rewired the guitar like a Ventures model) with Gibson sustain and resonance is a dream come true.

If anyone is interested in having this done on their Hallmark, I could figure up a price. It does no damage or non-reversible modifications to your guitar. The trem is the only thing that gets any permanent machining.

I'd like to think of what I did to this guitar is kinda what Carroll Shelby did to a Mustang :)

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Re: The Hallmark Custom 60 - Perfected

Postby SanchoPansen » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 am

Posted this on SG101, but wanted to repeat this here as well: why would anyone try to get more sustain out of a Mosrite style guitar? The 'flat' sound is what defines those instruments and makes it stand out from most other brands. A Mosrite with lots of sustain is just another guitar, IMO, and not a trademark sound anymore.
Is the wiring scheme much different between a 60 Custom and a Mark I?
Also, why do you need more downforce on the strings? Are they popping off? The action on my Mosrites/Hallmarks is as low as can be and it is so much lower than on (my) other guitars (Fenders, Gibson, etc.).
Altering the trem system doesn't seem to be a wise decision, IMO, as it is a very delicate and balanced system.
Well, whatever makes you happy anyway. I am absolutely satisfied with my Hallmarks playability and tone straight out of the box.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:06 am

"Perfected"? :lol:

Nitromessiah

Postby Nitromessiah » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Perfected as in, fixing the shortcomings inherent with the mechanics of the design. To each his own I guess.

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:53 am

A Mosrite with lots of sustain is just another guitar, IMO, and not a trademark sound anymore.

I do not feel that my GUN Mosrite has a lack of sustain at all (string set 10-52, like on all of my guitars), and I don't think that an original Mosrite MKI would lack too, but...

Conversely, there is guys to find much sustain on Stratocaster : I have 2 of them, and I don't !

A+!

glennmagi

Postby glennmagi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Hello Nitromessiah,
Perhaps you could quote me a price on this. Do you have any pics of what you did?
Glenn

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”