TREMOLO TUNING STABILITY PROBLEM... ?

reverserite

Re: TREMOLO TUNING STABILITY PROBLEM... ?

Postby reverserite » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am

The tremolo is back from Oigun (GUN Guitars) workshop : it was a problem of bearings which were sticky.

Now the tremolo is free of movement as would be a Galileo Pendulum... Or a Bigsby !

No more tuning stability problem on the guitar 8-) 8-) 8-)

That Lefty GUN-Mosrite Replica kills !

Thanks Oigun for your continued support,

Thanks you guys for your advices on that problem.

A+!

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Glad to hear you have solved the issue. My trem is at Bob Shades workbench right now and I will be very happy when I get it back. Finally I can play this guitar!
Btw, the one I have came from that 'Ed Roman' store, so yes, they DO HAVE this issue.

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:28 am

the one I have came from that 'Ed Roman' store, so yes, they DO HAVE this issue.

Before having my GUN-Mosrite made, I asked mosriteguitars (Ed Roman), stayed very doubtful and finally decided to have my instrument made in Europe instead of USA - oh, sorry : JAPAN...

A+!

oigun
Top Producer

Postby oigun » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:48 am

Thank you for your patience Reverserite!
I'm glad the problem is solved and now I know where to focus on when I make my tremolos..
The issue was a little squeeze out of loctite that was seeped into the bearing when I installed the shaft.. My bad and I am really ashamed of that. :oops:

For the future I will use also precision grounded hardened silversteel shafts instead of stainless steel.

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:14 pm

Hello guys,

Here is a complementary tip which would be useful to test if you still front Mosrite tremolo tuning stability problems despite a perfecty working unit... Here is the message that I have sent to Oigun, which says it all :

Hello Eugen,

Just a tip about the Mosrite (GUN) tremolo - it would be important to mention it if despite a perfectly built and working trem (as I have now - thanks !), one of your customer experiences problems of "flat detune" on the E, B, G treble strings with that tremolo :

I dipped (soldered) with my soldering iron and a light bit of tin the string wire braided near the anchor ring, because I clearly noticed that the slipping of these strings occured there, and not on the tuning machines.

Doing that eradicated the slipping problem on the strings, and as a proof : I played 2 sets of 1 hour this evening, tuned the guitar before the 1st set, then slightly perfected the tuning for the 2nd set, and got the good surprise to see that the guitar was still in tune at the end of the 2nd set. And no need to retune during the sets... Fine, indeed !

This doesn't occur on Bigsbys because the string are rounded on the shaft for 2/3 of a turn : this is enough to prevent slipping. Conversely, on the Mosrite tremolo, the strings are directly pulled, and there is a rocking effect between the anchor ring and the braided string when using the tremolo while the strings are staying nearly straight : here is the cause of slipping there.

I hope that my description is clear...

All the best from France,

Bruno.

A+!

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:51 am

Yes, this is a well know issue with Mosrite trems. You can simply use a soldering iron and some solder at the end of the strings to improve the stability.
I personally play Pyramid strings and they are enforced with cloth (or a thread) at the balls end. But if you don't play flats you might have a look at the GHS Boomers 'Reinforced' strings.
They also have a good protection around the critical area for us Mosrite players. And they are more reasonable priced than those Pyramids :o

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:58 am

Yes, this is a well know issue with Mosrite trems.

Incidentally, I did not found any mention of that issue, SanchoPansen...

You can simply use a soldering iron and some solder at the end of the strings to improve the stability.

Yes. That's what I do and decribed above. It works perfectly with Ernie Ball or Dean Markley 10-52 standard sets.

A+!

2hip2b4real

Postby 2hip2b4real » Sun May 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Not sure if this will help but I have found a way to make a Mosrite tremolo to work. First of all i use a little 3 IN 1 oil on bearings
and rollers. A stable neck with a high quality nut (I use Warmoth necks with a TUSQ nut). I realize this may not be an option for
people building Mosrite style guitars. Last but not least, the most important element of the equation is a correct Mosrite spec
spring. Anything other than that will give mixed results. The light Mosrite spring will give a spongy feel but will stay in tune if
all elements are correct.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”