Grain filler for Basswood.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Re: Grain filler for Basswood.

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info Slapshot and rblair. Good to know the elmers worked out for you. And that Basswood doesn't need grain filling. I didn't grainfill my basswood body, just used a 1k high build primer and it wet sanded silky smooth.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

rcblair

Postby rcblair » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:20 pm

The only thing I don't like about basswood is the softness. I laid the body down on a surface that had a few wood shavings on it and they left dents in the body. I was able to steam them out but I was super careful handling the body until it was painted. I used automotive paint so that is fairly hard and the bass has held up well for a couple of years now.

Rick B.
1965 Ventures Model Bass. Original owner. Early 70's bass.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:01 pm

rcblair wrote:The only thing I don't like about basswood is the softness. I laid the body down on a surface that had a few wood shavings on it and they left dents in the body. I was able to steam them out but I was super careful handling the body until it was painted. I used automotive paint so that is fairly hard and the bass has held up well for a couple of years now.

Rick B.

I encountered the same problems. I used a tough Urethane Clear on my body when I painted it Last weekend. That might be a possible solution for you. A light basswood body and tough candy coated shell. Just like M&M's :lol: Everyone who picks it up comments on how lightweight it feels.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”